FAIRFIELD, Conn.— The Sacred Heart women's soccer team recorded a season-high three goals in its 3-1 victory over Saint Peter's on Wednesday afternoon. The Pioneers (3-5) have now recorded back-to-back wins at home to open its tenure at Park Ave. Field.
SHU picked up its first tally in the 12th minute as freshman Taylor Casale laid a cross into the box for junior Maranda Gibbons to put a header past Peacocks (2-4) goalkeeper Victoria Scarratt. The Pioneers offense continued to push the tempo, firing 13 shots to the Saint Peter's three in the first 45 minutes.
That pressure in the offensive zone continued in the second half as junior Alyssa Hyland headed in the second SHU goal off the assist from classmate Alex Mesropyan in the 55th minute. Just over two minutes later Mesropyan picked up the Pioneers final tally with her header on the corner kick feed from sophomore Caitlin Buckley. Saint Peter's got on the scoreboard in the 84th minute as Rachel Ingram finished off a cross from Elizabeth Pacillo.
Sacred Heart held a 25 to 9 on the shots margin, including 12 shots on goal. Six Pioneers registered multiple shots. Junior goalkeeper Nicole Sambuco made four saves in the game for the Pioneers.
SHU will enjoy a week break before returning to the pitch Wednesday, September 20 against Brown University at 7:00 p.m.
- Gibbons picked up her second goal of the season with the header in the 12th minute. Casale recorded her first collegiate point with the assist.
- Sambuco with two stops in the 24th minute to hold the Saint Peter's attack.
- The Pioneer defense made a big team save on the header by Brooke Trotta in the 25th minute.
- Hyland recorded her second career goal on a header off the cross from Mesropyan in the 55th minute.
- Mesropyan picked up her third goal of the year and first assist for a season-high three-point effort.
- In all, 22 players saw action in the game for SHU.