PROVIDENCE, R.I.— A goal in the 89th minute by Mikela Waldman gave Brown University the 2-1 victory over the Sacred Heart women's soccer team on Wednesday night at Stevenson-Pincince Field.
The Bears (7-2) opened the scoring in the 34th minute as Abby Carchio finished a cross in front of the goal on the assist from Waldman and Star White. The Pioneers (3-6) answered just four minutes later as junior Lindsay Corallo finished a through ball from freshman Taylor Casale on the initial pass from junior Melanie DaSilva for her first goal of the season. Casale has recorded an assist in back-to-back games for SHU.
After each team traded goals in the first half, the final 45 minutes featured back-and-forth play as both teams were looking to start the week with a victory. Sacred Heart had just one shot on goal in the half from DaSilva in the 67th minute. Brown drew a pivotal corner kick that set up the game winner as Waldman played a short corner kick to Carchio that was deflected into the back of the net.
Sacred Heart was outshot by the Bears 16-7 on the night, but held the shots on goal edge, 4-3. Brown led SHU in corner kicks at 10-5. Christine Etzel made three saves for Brown while Nicole Sambuco made one stop for the Pioneers.
The Pioneers host Stony Brook on Friday, September 22 for the final non-conference game of the season.
- DaSilva fired SHU's first shot of the game in the seventh minute but was stopped by Etzel.
- Corallo's goal in the 38th minute was the fourth goal of her career.
- SHU had three shots in the final four minutes of the first half.
- Freshman Rebecca Nguyen had her shot from outside the box blocked by the Bears defense in the 60th minute.
- DaSilva had her second shot on goal saved by Etzel in the 67th minute.
- SHU was held without a shot over the final 22 minutes.