The Sacred Heart softball team split a pair of games with the Yale Bulldogs. The Pioneers brought game one to the brink, but would fall in the 8th inning, 3-2. The Pioneers would regroup in game two, to roll past the Bulldogs 7-3 in 5 innings due to dark weather. SHU was led by Hailey Desrosiers, who would go 3 for 7 at the dish, bringing in three RBI's. The Pioneers continue on the road, as they take on crosstown rivals, Fairfield tomorrow at 3:30pm.
Yale 3 Sacred Heart 2
- The Pioneers started things off hot, as Desrosiers doubled to center field. Katelyn Christian would go on to single, and move Desrosiers over to third for Jamie Carlson, who would bring in Desrosiers to give the Pioneers an early 1-0 lead
- The Bulldogs would respond instantly with their turn at the plate, picking up an unearned run, after a Pioneer error.
- Defenses flexed their muscles in the next three innings, keeping the score scoreless till the bottom of the 5th, with Yale picking up another run after a lead off bunt
- The Pioneers would rally in the top of the 7th, with Andrea Sidor leading off with a double to left field. Desrosiers would reach on an error, that would bring in Sidor to tie the game up at 2-2
- Yale would get the last laugh in game one, as they would end the game with a walk off single to right field to bring in the game winning run.
- Carlson went the distance on the mound pitching 7.2 innings, allowing six hits. She would surrender five walks, and strike out two bulldogs.
Sacred Heart 7 Yale 3
- Sacred Heart started game two with a bitter taste, from the extra inning loss in game one.
- Christian got things rolling in the first inning, ripping a single to left field, and advancing to second on an error. Victoria D'Addario would bring her in the next at bat.
- Yale would respond in the bottom of the first, picking up a run to tie it up
- The Pioneers would almost hit thru the lineup, in the second inning, as they Jessica Dubbioso would single up the middle to start the rally. McKenna Wiegand would find her way on base in the next at bat, following a throwing error to bring in Dubbioso. SHU's Lauren Delgadillo singled to left field with two outs to set up a Desrosiers single, to bring in pinch runner Hannah Ford, giving SHU a 3-1 advantage
- The Bulldogs weren't going down without a fight, as they scrapped together two runs in the bottom of the third to tie the game up 3-3
- The Pioneers opened things up in the top of the fourth, as Desrosiers would double to right field to bring in Addison Landry, to get things started. D'Addario would crack a double of her own, to bring in Desrosiers, but the big hit of the inning came from Lindsey Spitz who smoked a home run to left field to give the Pioneers a 7-3 lead
- With the sun going down Emily Orosco would hand the ball over to Kristen McCann to finish the inning. The Pioneers would pick up a 7-3 win, to split with the bulldogs. Orosco picked up the win on the mound, throwing four innings, striking out two Bulldogs, and allowing five hits. McCann would close out the game in the final inning, not allowing any hits, and striking out one