ROCK HILL, S.C.— The Sacred Heart University softball team earned a split on the first day of the Winthrop/Adidas Invitational. The Pioneers bested Norfolk State 3-1 to open the day before falling to tournament host, Winthrop 4-1.
Game One – SHU 3, NSU 1 - (4-2)
Bottom of the 5th inning – Stephanie Appelberg reached base to open the inning on an error by the second basemen. She advanced into scoring position on Kylee Harvey's sacrifice bunt. After a groundout, Hailey Desrosiers stepped up to the plate and delivered a two-run home run down the left field line to give SHU the 3-0 lead.
Top of the 6th inning – The Spartans got one run across the plate in the next half inning as Hunter Halford picked up the RBI groundout.
- Kristen McCann earned her third straight win for SHU.
- Delgadillo, Desrosiers and Jennie Boisvert recorded the Pioneer hits in the game.
- McCann recorded her third complete game of the season, pitching a season-high seven frames. She struck out eight while allowing just one run on three hits.
- Desrosiers now sits second on the team with three runs batted in on the year.
Game 2 Winthrop 4, SHU 1 (4-3)
Bottom of the 1st inning – The home team got on the board courtesy of a RBI double by Ashley Westbrooks
Top of the third inning – Appelberg led off the inning with a solo shot over the centerfield wall to tie the game at 1-1.
Bottom of the sixth inning… Westbrooks broke the tie game with a two-run shot to left field with one out.
Bottom of the sixth inning… The Eagles extended the lead as Madyson Watson recorded the RBI single to right field with the bases loaded.
- Emily Orosco fanned eight Winthrop batters in the loss.
- Boisvert and Delgadillo recorded a hit in both games on the day.
- Appelberg is the fourth different Pioneer to hit a home run this season.
- Boisvert has picked up a hit in three straight games.
The Pioneers will continue the tournament tomorrow with another doubleheader starting with a 11:00 a.m. contest against Albany then a 1:00 p.m. matchup against Western Kentucky.