WILMINGTON, N.C.— The Sacred Heart University softball team's offense exploded for back-to-back six-run innings to defeat North Carolina A&T 13-0 in five innings on Sunday. The Pioneers (9-8) season-high output over the Aggies (3-19) gave the team a 4-1 record at the Seahawk Softball Showcase to conclude spring break.
Bottom of the 3rd inning… Fallon Bevino kicked off the scoring with a RBI single up the middle. The Aggies earned the second out on a caught stealing but Katelyn Christian earned the walk to put runners on first and second. Haley Desrosiers stepped in and delivered the RBI double to left center for run number two. After a hit by pitch, Kira Ferraiolo earned the RBI walk. SHU ended the inning with three more runs off of North Carolina A&T errors to go up 7-0.
Bottom of the 4th inning… Early miscues allowed the Pioneers to load the bases with one out in the fourth. Kruger recorded the one-out RBI single through the left side. Hannah Ford and Kristen McCann followed up with back-to-back RBI singles to keep the offense going. Delgadillo recorded the RBI fielder's choice as the Aggies got the second out on the play. Kylee Harvey ended the scoring with her two-RBI double to right field to bring the final to 13-0.
- 12 of the Pioneers 13 runs were unearned as the Aggies committed seven errors.
- Eight different SHU batters recorded hits in the game with Bevino leading the way with two hits.
- Kristen McCann earned her sixth win of the season, surrendering just two hits in four innings of work.
- It is the third game this season that the Pioneers have won in five innings.
- It was the highest run total since SHU put up 12 runs in a 12-1 win over Howard on February 25, 2017.
SHU travels back up north for the Hampton Inn BWI UMBC Dawg Pound Invitational starting on Friday, March 16 with contests against La Salle and UMBC starting at 11:00 a.m.