BALTIMORE, Md.— The Sacred Heart University softball team closed out the Hampton Inn BWI UMBC Dawg Pound Invitational with a sweep against Saint Peter's and Drexel on Sunday.
The Pioneers (14-8) defeated the Peacocks (2-9), 5-1 to open the day and bested the Dragons (5-7-1), 4-1 to complete the weekend sweep at the round-robin tournament. SHU has won nine out of its last 10 games including a season-high seven in a row.
Game One – SHU 5, Saint Peter's 1
Top of the 1st inning… Harley Conners led off the game with a home run for the Peacocks against starter Colleen Walsh.
Bottom of the 1st inning… Lauren Delgadillo led off the inning with a single before advancing to second on a sacrifice. Fallon Bevino lifted the fly ball to center field two batters later but Saint Peter's was unable to corral the ball, allowing Delgadillo to score from second to tie the game.
Bottom of the 3rd inning… SHU loaded the bases to start the inning on a single by Stephanie Mangiameli, a double by Katelyn Christian and a walk by Bevino. The Peacocks picked up two lineouts as they looked to escape the inning. Caroline Kruger then delivered the two-RBI single to give the Pioneers the 3-1 edge.
Bottom of the 4th inning… Delgadillo came up big for the Pioneers with her second home run of the weekend with a one-out solo shot in the fourth.
- The Pioneers outhit the Peacocks 9-6 in the game.
- Delgadillo led the way with a 3-for-4 showing at the dish with two runs scored.
- Colleen Walsh earned her second win of the season, allowing just one run on three hits in five innings of work.
Game Two – SHU 4, Drexel 1
Top of the 4th inning… The Dragons broke open the scoring with back-to-back doubles by Jenelle Ladrido and Elena Woulfe. Woulfe picked up the RBI with Drexel's third hit of the game.
Bottom of the 4th inning… After two quick outs by SHU, Desrosiers got the inning going with her third home run of the season. Fillmore then earned the walk before Kruger earned the double to drive her in and give SHU the 2-1 lead.
Bottom of the 6th inning… Desrosiers opened the inning with a leadoff single for the Pioneers. Fillmore then recorded the RBI double for SHU's first run of the inning. She later scored on Delgadillo's RBI single for the final run of the game.
- The Pioneer offense continued its strong day with eight hits in game two.
- Desrosiers and Fillmore led the way with two hits each.
- Emily Orosco earned her fourth win of the season, yielding just one run on three hits while striking out nine.
- Kristen McCann earned her second save of the weekend, not surrendering a hit over the final two and third innings.
- SHU recorded a home run in all five games of the Hampton Inn BWI UMBC Dawg Pound Invitational.
- The Pioneers seven-game win streak beat out last season's longest streak of six in a row.
- This weekend was SHU's last round-robin tournament of the season, posting an impressive 14-6 record in four tournaments.
The Pioneers host UMass-Lowell for the 2018 home opener at Pioneer Park on Saturday, March 24. The doubleheader is set to begin at 1:00 p.m.