FAIRFIELD, Conn.— Behind lights-out pitching performances by junior duo Emily Orosco and Kristen McCann, the Sacred Heart University softball team earned the doubleheader sweep over Fairleigh Dickinson on Sunday.
The Pioneers (26-17, 8-2 NEC) were paced by three home runs and 10 strikeouts by Orosco in a 6-1 win in game one before McCann dominated with a one-hit shutout against the Knights (12-21, 4-4 NEC) in a 1-0 game two victory.
Game One- SHU 6, FDU 1
Bottom of 1st inning… Kelyn Fillmore lifted a two-out shot over the left field wall for the 1-0 lead.
Bottom of 2nd inning… Katelyn Christian continued the power surge with her leadoff home run to left field in the second.
Bottom of 3rd inning… Fillmore smacked her second straight home run to left field, scoring Hailey Desrosiers for the 3-0 lead.
Bottom of 4th inning… A two-RBI single by Stephanie Mangiameli with the bases loaded gave SHU the 6-0 cushion.
Bottom of 6th inning… Holly Mercier got the first hit of the game for FDU with a line drive up the middle. Reanna Cervates doubled to left field to score Mercier for the 6-1 lead.
- Three of the Pioneers six hits in the game were off the long ball.
- Orosco fanned double-digit batters for the seventh time this season.
Game Two- SHU 1, FDU 0
Bottom of 3rd inning… SHU produced the lone run of the game as Fillmore lined a single to center field that was mishandled, allowing Mangiameli to score all the way from first base.
- SHU recorded six hits yet again in game two as Mangiameli and Christian recorded two hits apiece.
- McCann recorded her fifth shutout of the season, picking up 11 strikeouts in the game.
- SHU has now thrown 12 shutouts this year.
- The Pioneers have smacked 10 of the team's 26 home runs at Pioneer Park.
- SHU's 26 home runs are tied for the most since the 2013 season.
- Fillmore's 2-HR game was the second of her career, the first since hitting two against LIU Brooklyn on April 11, 2015.
- Orosco and McCann recorded their 11th wins of the season.
The Pioneers ahead across town on Tuesday to take on Fairfield University at Alumni Field at 3:30 p.m.