FAIRFIELD, CONN. – The Sacred Heart University women's volleyball team earned its fifth conference win of the season, as the Pioneers defeated Robert Morris (25-23, 17-25, 25-18, 25-21) at home Saturday evening.
Alix Polk led Sacred Heart (12-6, 5-2 NEC) with a game-high 14 kills, while Liisel Nelis added 11 kills of her own and 12 digs for a double-double. Sarah Ciszek fell just shy of her second-consecutive triple-double, finishing with 34 assists, 12 digs and eight kills.
First Set: SHU 25-23
- The two teams traded points to an early 12-12 tie
- The two sides traded points back-and-forth the entire set, until SHU was able to gain a 24-22 advantage after a kill from Polk
- The Pioneers took the set after Ciszek sealed it with a kill
- Polk led the way in the set with six kills on six attempts for the Pioneers, while contributing four digs
Second Set: RMU 25-17
- RMU hopped out to an early 10-6 lead in the set
- The Colonials pushed their lead to 19-9 after a 9-3 run
- SHU tried to cut the deficit, getting as close as 22-16 after Ciszek delivered a service ace
- RMU held on to take the set 25-17
Third Set: SHU 25-18
- RMU took an early 5-1 lead in the set
- SHU responded with a swift 4-0 run to tie the set
- The teams traded points to a 15-15 tie
- SHU scored three-consecutive points, capped by a Ciszek kill to take an 18-15 lead and forcing a Robert Morris timeout
- Out of the timeout, SHU closed the set with a 7-3 run to take the set, capped by a Kiley Ridgway and Polk block at the net
Fourth Set: SHU 25-21
- SHU opened the set with 10-4 run, with Gianna Scioletti and Ridgway providing two kills apiece
- After RMU stormed back to tie the set at 14-14
- Later in the set with SHU holding a slim 22-20 lead, Julia Murawinski recorded a kill to give the Pioneers a three-point lead
- With SHU holding match-point, Polk delivered a service ace to seal the victory
SHU hit .237 for the match, while Robert Morris (8-14, 2-5 NEC) had a hit percentage of .227. The Colonials registered 47 digs in the match, while SHU recorded 47 as well.
The Pioneers will be back in action on Friday, Oct. 19, when SHU travels to Brooklyn, N.Y. to take on NEC-foe St. Francis Brooklyn at 4:00 p.m.