FAIRFIELD, Conn. - The Sacred Heart men's basketball team won its second straight game Wednesday, defeating the Mitchell Mariners 84-60 at the Pitt Center.
Mitchell - 1-2
Sacred Heart - 2-3
The Turning Point
Mitchell was within three, 20-17, with 11:45 to play after a Colizel Lewis three-pointer. A Zach Radz three-pointer sparked an 11-4 SHU run that put the Pioneers up by 10 31-21 at the 9:12 mark. Radz had five points in the run as E.J. Anosike added a pair of layups. The Mariners made back-to-back threes to get within four, but a pair of Kinnon LaRose foul shots started a quick 6-0 run that put SHU up by 10 once again, 37-27, with 6:03 to go.
SHU took a 43-36 lead into halftime. The Pioneers opened the second half on an 18-6 run, taking a 61-42 lead with 11:00 to play. Seven different SHU players scored in the first nine minutes of the half, as the Pioneer defense held Mitchell to 2-for-12 shooting from the field and forced four turnovers. SHU led by as much as 27 in the second half.
- SHU opened the game on a 7-2 run, capped off by a Mario Matasovic layup and LaRose three.
- The Pioneers took a 19-10 lead on a Hoehn three at the 14:17 mark.
- Mitchell went on a 7-1 run in 2:32 to cut the SHU lead to three, 20-17, with 11:45 to go in the half. Hasani Williams and Colizel Lewis had all seven points for the Mariners.
- Matasovic led SHU with 10 points in the half, making five of seven shots from the field.
- Anosike had eight points and 11 rebounds in the second half alone.
- After shooting 64% from the field in the first half, SHU put the clamps on Mitchell in the second half. The Mariners shot just 26.7% in the second half and were 0-for-5 from the three-point line.
- SHU took its first 20-point lead with a pair of LaRose free throws, going up 71-50 at the 5:32 mark.
Key Stats and Notes
- Anosike led all players with 16 rebounds, one shy of tying his career-high of 17 set on Sunday against Maine. Matasovic added 10 rebounds.
- Charles Tucker Jr. had a season-high eight assists.
- SHU shot 44.9% from the field and outrebounded Mitchell 49-33.
The Pioneers head to Chicago to face the Northwestern Wildcats on Friday, Nov. 24 at 8:30 p.m.