FAIRFIELD, Conn. – The Sacred Heart University men's basketball schedule for the 2019-20 season became finalized Wednesday with the release of the Northeast Conference schedule.
The Pioneers completed a 15-win campaign in 2018-19 that included an 11-7 mark in NEC play, earning the No. 3 seed in the 2019 NEC Tournament. The 11 league victories marked the highest single-season conference win total since 2015-16.
New to the NEC scheduling format this season is the addition of Merrimack College. Now with 11 teams in the league, the total number of league games will remain at 18 for all teams. As part of the league's restructuring, there will no longer be a home-and-home series between each team in the conference, thus ensuring the slate remains at 18 games. Due to this, SHU will face Wagner and Mount St. Mary's once each in the 2019-20 season. In the seasons to follow, the teams that SHU only face once in a single-season will rotate.
Here are some of the key dates of the conference schedule:
- SHU opens the NEC schedule at home with newly-added member Merrimack on Thursday, Jan. 2, before traveling to take on Wagner on Jan. 4 for the only time this season.
- After taking on defending NEC Tournament champions Fairleigh Dickinson on Jan. 9, SHU hosts Central Connecticut at the Pitt Center on Jan. 15.
- SHU will then hit the road for three-straight contests. The Pioneers travel to western Pennsylvania to take on Saint Francis U. on Jan. 18, before taking on Robert Morris on Jan. 20.
- SHU then travels for a contest against in-state foe Central Connecticut on Thursday, Jan. 23, before returning home to battle Fairleigh Dickinson on Jan. 25.
- The Pioneers will welcome Mount St. Mary's to Fairfield for its lone contest vs. the Mountaineers on Jan. 30. SHU will then travel to take on St. Francis Brooklyn on Feb. 1.
- SHU will then open a three-game homestand, starting with Saint Francis U. on Feb. 6, followed by Robert Morris on Feb. 8. The Pioneers will wrap the homestand with a contest vs. Bryant on Feb. 13.
- SHU will hit the road for three-straight contests, beginning with LIU on Feb. 15, followed by visiting Merrimack on Feb. 21. The Pioneers will wrap its road schedule at Bryant on Feb. 23
- The regular season wraps up with SHU hosting St. Francis Brooklyn on Feb. 27 and LIU on Feb. 29.