UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Freshman goaltender Brett Magnus made a single-game Sacred Heart record 64 saves Saturday as the Pioneers lost to the Penn State Nittany Lions 3-2 at Pegula Ice Arena Saturday.
Magnus is the first goaltender in Sacred Heart men's hockey history to have at least 60 saves in a game. The previous record was held by Jason Smith, who had 54 saves against Mercyhurst on January 28, 2006. Magnus made 45 of his saves in the last two periods.
The Pioneers appeared to take a 1-0 lead less than five minutes into the game. Evan Jasper threw a rebound into the Penn State net with 15:06 to play in the first, but video review took the goal off the board because Sacred Heart (5-5-1) was offside. Luczyk scored a no-doubter with 9:37 to play in the period, sneaking a shot off the goal post and past Penn State goaltender Matthew Skoff.
Penn State (6-2-2) tied the game 9:20 into the second period. With the Pioneers on the power play, Kenny Brooks found Chase Berger for a shorthanded goal that tied the game 1-1. Less than three minutes later, Berger struck again to give Penn State a 2-1 lead with 7:55 to play in the second. Butcher tied the game early in the third, hammering home the rebound of a Connor Doherty shot to make the score 2-2 with 15:44 to play. Penn State scored the eventual game-winner with 8:34 to play as Tommy Olczyk nudged home a loose puck in the Sacred Heart crease.
The Nittany Lions outshot Sacred Heart 67-45 for the game. Both teams were 0-for-3 on the power play. Skoff made 43 saves in goal for Penn State.
Sacred Heart opens a weekend series against Air Force at the Milford Ice Pavilion on Friday, Nov. 20 at 7:05 p.m.
- Sacred Heart had two shots in the first 1:30 from Luczyk and Kory Kennedy.
- The Pioneers went on the power play with 17:14 to play but had no shots on goal.
- Evan Jasper ripped a shot off of a faceoff with 11:51 remaining that Skoff stopped.
- Magnus stopped two shots from Eric Scheid from close range with 6:58 and 4:10 left respectively.
- Luczyk was denied on a breakaway by Skoff 0:48 into the period.
- Magnus made a point blank save on a Brooks shot with 14:03 to play.
- Jasper had the only shot on goal on SHU's only power play of the second period at the 12:12 mark.
- Spencer Graboski had a shot saved at the 8:14 mark, but couldn't corral the rebound.
- Sacred Heart had a power play with 17:48 to play, but Skoff stopped all five shots.
- Jordan Minello missed an open net with 12:20 remaining.
- The Pioneers had five shots with Magnus pulled in the final minute. Two went wide and Skoff stopped the other three.