WEST POINT, N.Y.—The Sacred Heart men's hockey team opened its 2016-17 season Friday night with a 4-0 loss to Army West Point at Tate Rink.
Sacred Heart (0-1) outshot Army West Point (1-0-1) 33-23, with their defense holding the Black Knights to just eight shots over the final two periods. The Pioneers went 0-5 on their power play attempts, Army was also held scoreless on three power plays.
The Black Knights took a 1-0 lead with 3:14 remaining in the first period with a goal by Michael Wilson on a pass from Dominic Franco. Army West Point would score again with 1:46 left in the first period on a Conor Andrle goal assisted by Taylor Maruya and Tyler Pham. Brendan McGuire netted the third Army goal with 14:16 to go in the second period. The final Black Knights tally came on an empty net goal by Clint Carlisle with 1:06 remaining in the final period. Sophomore goaltender Brett Magnus had 19 saves in the contest. Parker Gahagen had 33 saves for the Black Knights.
Sacred Heart is back on the road on Sunday Oct. 9 at Merrimack at 4:00pm.
- Hunter Fargey and Austin McIllmurray had their shots saved early in the period.
- Army first goal is scored by Wilson with 3:14 to go in the period.
- Evan Jasper shot hits off the pipe.
- Andrle scored the second goal of the period for Army with 1:46 to go.
- Sacred Heart has four shots in thirty seconds in the period.
- McGuire scores the third Black Knights goal with 14:16 to go in the period.
- Jordan Minello's shot nearly goes in but ricochets off the pipe.
- The Pioneers fired 14 shots in the final period.
- Army would get their final tally on an empty net goal by Carlisle.