NORTH ANDOVER, Mass.— An aggressive offense led the Sacred Heart men's hockey team to a 2-1 victory over Merrimack on Sunday night. The Pioneers picked up two goals in the second period to secure their first win of the season.
The Pioneers' (1-1-0) determined offense pushed the tempo early, firing 26 shots in the first two periods compared to the Warriors (0-1-0) eight. After a scoreless first period, senior Nick Lotito got the Pioneers on the board with 14:53 to go in the second. Seniors Jeff Carroll and Mitch Nylen had the assists on the goal. Later in the period with 10:43 remaining and the Pioneers down a man; aenior captain Evan Jasper put the pass from senior Justin Danforth and sophomore Liam Clare past Drew Volger for the shorthanded goal and 2-0 lead. Jasper had a game high seven shots on the day.
The Warriors answered back in the third period with 2:33 to go, with a five on three power play goal by Jared Kolquist. Sophomore goaltender Brett Magnus picked up twenty saves behind the net for Sacred Heart. Volger recorded 26 saves for Merrimack.
Sacred Heart outshot Merrimack 28 to 21 in the game. The Warriors were 1-13 on the power play, while the Pioneers were held scoreless on five power plays.
The Pioneers will return to Army West Point to finish their season series on Friday October 14 at 7:00pm.
- The Pioneers set the tempo early with six shots in the first two minutes.
- Volger makes saves on all 14 Sacred Heart shots.
- Sacred Heart kills a five on three power play chance by Merrimack right off the bat that carried over from first period.
- Lotito picks up the first tally of '16-'17, five minutes into the period on an assist from Carroll and Nylen.
- Down a man, Jasper gets the shorthanded goal on the assist from Danforth to put the Pioneers up 2-0.
- The Pioneers kill another five on three power play chance with 16:53 to go in the third period.
- Magnus makes a string of four straight saves midway through the third period.
- Jasper's shot hits off the pipe.
- Kolquist answers for Merrimack putting them on the board with 2:33 to go in the period.
- Magnus makes one last save on a shot by Brett Seney with 15 seconds to go.