WEST POINT, N.Y.— The Sacred Heart men's ice hockey team fell to Army West Point 3-0 at Tate Rink on Friday night. The Black Knights (2-0-1) sweep the two game regular season series against the Pioneers (1-2-0).
Sophomore goaltender Brett Magnus was tested early in the contest, fighting off three Army West Point shots in the early minutes of the game. Magnus made 13 saves in the first period. Army netted their first goal of the game three minutes in to the game when Brendan Soucie found a loose puck in a front of a scrum by the net and chipped it in. The Black Knights would score again in the second on a goal by Dalton MacAfee assisted by Michael Wilson. The final Army West Point strike came on an empty net goal from the red line by Conor Andrle with 3:23 to go in the third, as the Pioneers tried to get an extra skater into their attack.
Neither team was successful on the power play, with Sacred Heart and Army West Point both going 0 for 7 in the game. Army West Point set the tone early with 14 shots in the first period, they would outshoot the Pioneers 28 to 25 in the game. Parker Gahagen recorded 25 saves and his second shutout against the Pioneers. Magnus would also record 25 saves for Sacred Heart
The Pioneers return to action tomorrow for their home opener against Union at Webster Bank Arena. The puck will drop at 2:00pm. Fans can purchase single-game tickets at the Webster Bank Arena Click It or Ticket Box Office or at Ticketmaster.com.
- The Pioneers are tested early with Magnus saving five shots in the first power play attempt at 2:20 to go in the first.
- Soucie would chip in the loose puck in front of the net to give the Black Knights the advantage.
- Jordan Minello has two shots knocked away in Sacred Heart's final power play attempt in the final minutes of the first period.
- Pioneers come out aggressive with three shots in the opening minute of the second period.
- MacAfee puts the Black Knights lead to 2-0 with his goal at the three-minute mark.
- Evan Jasper tries to put one past Gahagen but is denied in the 14th minute.
- Magnus fights off the power play with two saves at the eight-minute mark.
- Justin Danforth shot gets knocked down by Gahagen halfway through the period.
- Andrle picks up the empty net goal from the red line to bring the final to 3-0.