NEW HAVEN, Conn.— The Sacred Heart men's ice hockey team fell to Yale 4-1 on Saturday night at Ingalls Rink.
The Pioneers (2-4-1) struck first as senior Jeff Carroll tapped one in past Yale goaltender Patrick Spano on the pass from Ruslan Rakhmatov with 15:36 to go in the first. The Bulldogs (1-0-0) quickly answered on a goal by Chandler Lindstrand past junior goaltender Nathan Perry to tie it at 1-1. Yale continued to attack as Ted Hart faked out the Pioneers defense then fired a laser to to back of the net. The Bulldogs final goal of the first period came on a three on two opportunity, with Mike Doherty finding the wide open Chris Izmirlian on the trail to put the game at 3-1.
Sacred Heart would get several chances in the second period as they outshot Yale 10-6 but were held scoreless on five power play opportunities. The Bulldogs added their final goal of the game with 16:36 to go in the third period as Joe Snively found John Hayden in the middle of the Pioneers defense for the power play goal. Perry had 30 saves behind the net for the Pioneers.
Yale outshot Sacred Heart 34-24 in the game. The Bulldogs went 1-7 on power play chances, while the Pioneers went 0-9 on their power play opportunities. Perry had a career high 30 saves behind the net for Sacred Heart.
The Pioneers travel up to Durham, N.H. to take on New Hampshire on Friday November 4 at 7:00pm.
- SHU strikes first as Rakhmatov found Carroll in front of the net to tap it past Spano.
- Lindstrand answered for Yale with their first goal of the season on the assist from Hayden.
- Perry stopped a laser of a shot by Luke Stevens in the middle of the first period.
- Hart netted the second goal of the first period as he faked out the Pioneers defense.
- Izmirlian gave Yale the 3-1 lead on the assist from Doherty.
- Graboski attempted to send pass to Nylen as he broke through the back of the Bulldogs defense but they couldn't connect.
- Spano made a big stop on a power play shot attempt by Evan Jasper late in the second period.
- Perry made a nice kick save on a shot by Andrew Gaus early in the first.
- Hayden with the final Bulldogs tally early in the third period on the feed from Snively.
- Jasper's shot as the Pioneers had a 5-3 power play attempt got denied by Spano late in the third period.