DURHAM, N.H.— The Sacred Heart men's ice hockey team skated to a 2-2 tie against New Hampshire, on Friday night. The Pioneers (2-4-2) were unable to hold on to a 2-0 lead as the Wildcats (3-3-1) scored two unanswered goals in the third period to tie the game.
The Pioneers struck early thanks to a big second period. Freshman Austin McIlmurray picked up his first career goal halfway through the period, off the face-off and touch pass from senior Jeff Carroll and junior Kory Kennedy. Sacred Heart struck again just 36 seconds later as junior Alec Butcher found an attacking senior Jordan Minello on the right side for the power play goal and 2-0 lead. The Wildcats answered back in the third on a power play goal by Tyler Kelleher on the assist from Patrick Grasso. With 28 seconds left in the third, Liam Blackburn collected the wide shot by Brendan van Riemsdyk for the extra attacker goal for New Hampshire.
The Wildcats outshot the Pioneers 37-29 in the game. Sacred Heart went 1-4 on their power play opportunities and held New Hampshire 1-10 on the power play. Junior Nathan Perry set a new career high with 35 saves behind the net.
Sacred Heart returns home for a weekend series against Atlantic Hockey competitor Robert Morris starting Saturday November 12.
- Perry picked up a save right off the bat on a shot by Jason Salvaggio
- Bavaro has his shot blocked by Matias Cleland eight minutes in to the game
- Tirone saved back to back shots by the Pioneers late in the 1st period
- Jasper's shot just missed, hitting the pipe in the third minute
- Perry got the stop on a shot by Kelleher on the UNH power play seven minutes into the period
- McIlmurray netted his first career goal on the assist by Carroll and Kennedy to give SHU the 1-0 lead halfway through the period
- Just 36 seconds later, Minello added the power play goal on the assist from Butcher and Clare
- Mitch Nylen blocked a shot by Kelleher to close out the second period
- Perry started off the third with two big stops on back to back shots by the Wildcats
- Kelleher added the power play goal for UNH on the assist by Grasso and Cleland
- Danforth fired home two shots on the Pioneers power play in the 14th minute but was stopped by Tirone
- UNH tied up the game with a Extra Attacker goal by Blackburn, Vela and Van Riemsdyk
- SHU put a stop on three quick shots by UNH halfway through overtime as Erlich Doerksen and Minello blocked two shots and Perry grabbed a save
- Tirone picked up a big save on a shot by Butcher to close out overtime