NORTHFORD, Conn.—The Sacred Heart men's ice hockey team was defeated by Robert Morris 4-1 on Saturday afternoon. The Colonials (4-3-2, 3-3-1 AHC) rallied with three goals in the final five minutes to take down the Pioneers (2-5-2, 1-3 AHC).
The first period featured a deadlock between both teams. RMU got on the board first in the second period as Brady Ferguson netted a five on three power play goal on an assist from Eric Israel. The Pioneers were unable to find the net as they outshot the Colonials 14-9 in the second. Sacred Heart answered in the beginning of the third as senior Jordan Minello fired a laser to the back of the net on the diving pass from Evan Jasper to tie it at 1-1. RMU broke the tie with a goal by Daniel Leavens with 4:06 to go in the third. Colonials added two more in the final minute and half to bring the final score to 4-1.
The Pioneers close out their weekend set with the Colonials on Sunday at Webster Bank Arena at 3:00pm.
- Danforth fired a laser just wide early in the first period.
- Perry made a big stop as Spencer Dorowicz tried to chip it in from close range.
- Jasper has a breakaway opportunity late in the period but he is denied by Marotte.
- Liam Clare tried to slap one in from the blue line but Marotte was there to make the stop in the second period.
- Ferguson put RMU on the board, 1-0, with the five on three power play goal.
- Ben Robillard made a diving block on a slap shot by Mitch Nylen in the middle of the second period.
- Minello tied up the game at 1-1 on the assist from Evan Jasper three minutes into the third period.
- Leavens put the Colonials up 2-1 on the cross ice pass from Alex Tonge.
- Minello had another shot late in the third but it was knocked down by Marotte.
- Ferguson picked up his second goal of the game on the power play in the final two minutes of the game.
- RMU added an empty net goal by Timmy Moore to bring final to 4-1.