Bridgeport, Conn.—The Sacred Heart men's ice hockey team fell in their weekend finale against Robert Morris, 4-1 at Webster Bank Arena on Sunday afternoon. The Pioneers (2-6-2, 1-4 AHC) outshot the Colonials (5-3-2, 4-3-1 AHC) 30-16, but were unable to find the back of the net.
Robert Morris got off to the early lead late in the first on a goal by Alex Dangal, as he intercepted a dump pass by the Pioneers for the open score. RMU picked up the shorthanded goal by Daniel Leavens on the assist from Brady Ferguson in the second period on a major power play opportunity for Sacred Heart. The Pioneers answered with 14:45 to go in the third period, as senior Justin Danforth found classmate Jordan Minello wide open to send it in to the far post for the power play goal. Minello has scored a goal in three straight games. RMU pushed their lead up by one late in the third with a two on one breakaway opportunity as Ferguson found Alex Tonge for the open score. The Colonials added an empty net goal by Alex Bontje to bring the final score to 4-1.
For the game, Sacred Heart was 1-7 on the power play and RMU was 0-3. Freshman Francis Marotte recorded 29 saves on the afternoon. Nathan Perry recorded 12 saves for the Pioneers.
The Pioneers welcome Niagara to town this coming weekend for a two-game series. Both games will be played at Webster Bank Arena beginning Friday night at 7:00pm.
- Austin McIlmurray almost put one in off the faceoff but Marotte was there to stop him in the first.
- Perry picked up back-to-back saves late in the first period.
- Vito Bavaro tried an open shot off the faceoff but the Colonials defense was able to poke it away.
- Dangal put in the open shot with 33 seconds to go in the first as SHU tried to dump a pass out from behind their net.
- Evan Jasper nearly connected with Danforth in front of the net but the puck slipped away with 18:06 left to play in the period.
- McIllmurray nearly got SHU on the board, but shot hits off the top of the post with 10:15 to go in the second period.
- Leavens put RMU up 2-0 with a shorthanded goal just thirty seconds later. Ferguson found Leavens for the backhanded score.
- Danforth found Minello by the right circle to send it in to the top left corner to bring the game to 2-1.
- Ferguson continued to add to his league leading point total as he found Tonge on the two-on-one breakaway to go up 3-1.
- The Colonials added an empty net goal by Bontje to bring final to 4-1 as SHU tried to bring on an extra attacker.
- Danforth rifled a shot in the final minute for SHU but Marotte made the snag.