PITTSBURGH, Pa.— The Sacred Heart men's ice hockey team dropped its series finale to Robert Morris 2-1 on Saturday afternoon at 84 Lumber Arena.
The Pioneers (5-9-2, 3-7 AHC) outshot Robert Morris (8-4-2, 5-3-1 AHC) 13-10 in a deadlocked first period. Sacred Heart netted the first score of the game at 14:07 in the second period as senior captain Mitch Nylen slapped one past Francis Marotte on the four-on-three power play. Freshman Ruslan Rakhmatov assisted on the play. Robert Morris answered shortly after as Spencer Dorowicz flipped the backhanded goal by sophomore Brett Magnus on the three-on-two breakaway feed from Timmy Moore to tie it at 1-1. The Colonials netted the game winner at 1:22 in the third period, just four seconds in on the power play opportunity as Brady Ferguson fired one off Magnus and rolled up and over for the goal and 2-1 lead.
Sacred Heart held the shot on goal advantage over Robert Morris, 32-28. Senior Justin Danforth led the way with seven shots on goal. The Pioneers went 1-for-7 on the power play, while the Colonials went 1-for-8 with the game winning goal on the power play. Magnus recorded 26 saves on the afternoon. Marotte, the nation's leader in save percentage at .947 picked up 31 saves.
The Pioneers host Meryhurst for a weekend series starting Friday December 9 at 7:00pm at Webster Bank Arena. Saturday's contest is the annual Jason Pagni Memorial Game held at Avon Old Farms.
- A laser by Danforth from left circle knocked down by Marotte, 3 minutes into the first on the SHU power play.
- Danforth just missed the rebound on a shot by Minello 11:15 left in the first but saved by Marotte.
- Magnus with the big stop on a shot by Dorowicz in the slot at 6:15 left in the first period on the power play.
- Rakhmatov with the strong slap shot at 1:35 remaining in the first period.
- Jasper made a hard cut from left wing but is denied by Marotte in the first minute of the period.
- Magnus with pad save on a shot by John Ray at 4:25 in the second period.
- Minello shot off one knee but missed the open opportunity at 8:20 in the second.
- Nylen nails the four on three power play opportunity for SHU on the assist from Rakhmatov at 14:07.
- Dorowicz tied it up at 16:32 with the backhanded goal from the feed by Moore.
- Ferguson hit the game winner on the power play at 1:22 in the third period.
- Durkee rifled a slap shot just high at 8:32 in the third.
- Magnus laid out for back to back saves on shots Luke Lynch and Dorowicz.
- Marotte with a big save on a shot by Tsekos on the extra attacker attempt by the Pioneers to close out regulation.
- Sacred Heart outshot RMU 8-5 in the third period.