BRIDGEPORT, Conn.— Senior Justin Danforth fired home the overtime game winner on the rebound from freshman Zach Tsekos shot off the pipe to give the Sacred Heart men's hockey team the, 2-1 victory over Holy Cross on Friday night. The Pioneers (8-13-2, 6-11 AHA) took advantage of the overtime power play opportunity to edge the Crusaders (9-9-3, 6-5-3 AHA) at Webster Bank Arena.
Sacred Heart got on the board first at 12:55 in the first period as senior Jeff Carroll collected the rebound off his missed shot and chipped it by reigning Atlantic Hockey goalie of the week, Paul Berrafato. Carroll's third goal of the season was assisted by classmates Jordan Minello and Erlich Doerksen. The Crusaders continued to attack, outshooting the Pioneers 25 to 14 over the first and second period. Holy Cross finally answered in the third as Johnny Coughlin found Mitch Collett wide open for the one-timer on the two-on-one rush to tie the game up at 1-1 at 12:51.
The Pioneers fought off a late penalty in the third and into overtime. Senior Evan Jasper drew a hooking penalty on Dalton Skelly 20 seconds into overtime as he looked for the shorthanded score. Once on the man advantage, sophomore Liam Clare found Tsekos open from top of the circle to fire one off the pipe; Danforth was there to fire in the game winner at 1:33 in overtime.
Overall, Holy Cross outshot Sacred Heart 33 to 23. The Pioneers went 1-for-4 on the power play, while the Crusaders went 0-for-2. Sophomore Brett Magnus made 32 spectacular saves in goal for the Pioneers. Berrafato made 21 stops for Holy Cross.
The Pioneers wrap up the season series with the Crusaders tomorrow at 2:00 pm.
- Danforth had a nice breakaway shot attempt but denied by Berrafato with the kick save early in the first.
- Magnus had a nice save on a shot by Scott Pooley who was wide open in the slot at 11:27 in the first.
- Magnus made 13 stops in the first stanza.
- Carroll with his third goal of the season on the follow up shot at 12:55 in the first.
- Tsekos with the shot on the power play for SHU at 8:15 but Berrafato made the diving stop.
- Magnus with a fantastic backdoor save on a shot by Scott Pooley at 11:47 in the second period.
- The Pioneers remained out of the penalty box for two straight periods.
- Doerksen has his shot hit off the post at 12:20 in the third.
- Holy Cross tied it up on the beautiful dish from Coughlin to a wide open Collett at 12:51 in the third.
- SHU kills off a late penalty in the final minute of regulation.
- Jasper drew a hooking penalty to draw even ice.
- On the power play, Danforth is there to collect the rebound on Tsekos' shot that hit the post at 1:33.