BRIDGEPORT, Conn.— The Sacred Heart men's hockey team pushed its unbeaten streak to three games on Saturday afternoon with a 2-2 overtime tie against Holy Cross at Webster Bank Arena. The Pioneers (8-13-3, 6-11-1 AHA) picked up three points in the Atlantic Hockey standings in the lone series of the year against the Crusaders (9-9-4, 6-6-4 AHA).
Sacred Heart carried over the momentum from Friday nights thrilling 2-1 overtime win, netting two goals in the first period for the first time this season. Senior Justin Danforth got the Pioneers started, deflecting in Mike Crocock's slap shot from the point for the 1-0 lead at 15:08 in the period. Danforth has recorded a goal in three straight games for the Pioneers. Captain Mitch Nylen extended the Pioneers lead to 2-0 on a slap shot from the top of the slot on a feed from freshman Vito Bavaro at 17:55 in the first.
Holy Cross answered in the second period as Danny Lopez set up T.J. Moore for the snipe from the left point on the extra attacker power play goal at 8:47. SHU committed six penalties in the second period, giving Holy Cross some momentum after being down early. The Crusaders tied the game 1:27 into the third as Tommy Muratore wide open in front of the net to collect the deflection on a shot by Scott Pooley. Sacred Heart outshot Holy Cross 7-2 in overtime but was unable to get the game winner.
SHU outshot the Crusaders 30-26. Holy Cross went 1-for-9 on the power play, while Sacred Heart went 0-for-3. Sophomore Brett Magnus made 24 saves for the Pioneers, while Paul Berrafato made 28 for Holy Cross.
The Pioneers host Bentley at Webster Bank Arena on Friday Jan. 20 at 8:35 pm in the first of two home-and-home series with the Falcons. The game will be broadcasted nationally on American Sports Network.
- Magnus made back-to-back stops on shots by Lopez and Ryan Ferrill on the Holy Cross power play at 9:40 in the first.
- Clare laid out in front of the net to block Johnny Coughlin's shot halfway through the first period.
- Danforth with the deflection score on the slap shot by Crocock at 15:08.
- Nylen fired in the slap shot from the top of the slot for his third goal of the season and the 2-0 lead for the Pioneers.
- Bavaro rifled in a slap shot on the Pioneers power play at 9:45 in the second but was denied by Berrafato.
- Coltyn Hansen with the nice lead pass to Danforth on the two-on-one rush at 15:50 in the period but Berrafato made a pad save to deny the shorthanded score.
- SHU committed six penalties in the second period, one leading to an extra attacker power play goal for Holy Cross.
- Pioneers outshot the Crusaders 12-11 in the period.
- Holy Cross outshot the Pioneers 9-5 in the third, tying the game up at 2-2 as Muratore collected the deflection on the shot by Pooley.
- Magnus made a spectacular glove save on the one-timer from Brett Mulcahy at 15:56 in the third period.
- Pioneers unable to capitalize on the late power play opportunity in the final minute of regulation.
- Pioneers fired seven shots in overtime but unable to get past Berrafato.