BRIDGEPORT, Conn.— A late goal in the final minute of regulation by Stephen Hladin wasn't enough to spark a rally as the Sacred Heart men's hockey team fell to Bentley 3-2 on Friday night. The Pioneers (8-14-3, 6-12-1 AHA) had their three-game unbeaten streak snapped by the Falcons (7-11-5, 6-7-4 AHA) at Webster Bank Arena.
Sacred Heart looked strong early getting a goal at 2:02 in the first as sophomore Zach De Concilys netted his first goal of the season on the rebound from senior Connor Doherty's shot. Bentley answered shortly after as reigning Atlantic Hockey player of the week, Kyle Schmidt scored point blank on the feed from Jake Ahlgren to tie it at 1-1. The Falcons picked up the shorthanded goal at 11:52 in the second as Andrew McDonald broke free on the two-on-one rush to take the 2-1 lead. Schmidt picked up his second goal of the game on the power play at 7:18 in the third period. Drew Callin had the lead pass to set up Schmidt. The Pioneers attempted to rally late in the third, going the final 2:19 on the extra attack. Hladin slipped one past Aidan Pelino at 19:48 to bring the score to 3-2. The Falcons cleared the puck away on the next face off to seal the game and the Pioneers comeback.
In the game, SHU outshot Bentley 39-29. The Falcons went 1-for-three on the man advantage, while the Pioneers went 0-for-4. Brett Magnus made 26 saves in goal for the Pioneers. The freshman, Pelino recorded 37 saves for the Falcons.
The Pioneers and Falcons ship the series up to Waltham, Mass. tomorrow for the weekend finale at the John A. Ryan Ice Arena. Puck is set to drop at 7:00pm.
- DeConcilys tapped in his first goal since February 19, 2016 at Canisius.
- Pioneers had three hard shots on the power play at 9:39.
- Hansen had his backhanded attempt knocked down by Pelino at 14:19 in the period.
- Minello had wrap around shot poked away by Pelino at 1:40 in the first period.
- Danforth had a nice open look to Stephen Hladin but was stopped by Pelino at 5:18 in the second.
- Matt Riggleman breaks his stick blocking a slapshot from Erlich Doerksen at 6:45 in the period.
- The Pioneers outshot the Falcons 12-6 in the period.
- Riggleman has his shot denied by Magnus with the glove save early in the third period.
- Doherty fired back to back shots from the blue line but was denied by Pelino halfway through the third.
- Jordan Minello's shot hits off the crossbar with 35 seconds left as the Pioneers attempted to cut the deficit.
- Hladin picked up his fourth goal of the season with 12 seconds remaining.