BRIDGEPORT, Conn.— Canisius forward Cameron Heath scored an extra attacker game-tying goal at 18:41 left in regulation as the Sacred Heart men's hockey team settled for a 2-2 tie against the first place Golden Griffins on Friday night. Canisius (15-10-7, 14-4-6 AHA) scored two consecutive goals in the third to comeback and tie the Pioneers (10-14-5, 8-12-3 AHA), who have now played in three straight overtime contests.
Sacred Heart got off to an early lead at Webster Bank Arena as sophomore Stephen Hladin picked up the deflection on a slap shot by Ruslan Rakhmatov at 11:11 in the first. The Griffins looked to respond in the second, firing 11 shots on goal but all were denied by sophomore goaltender Brett Magnus. The Pioneers took the 2-0 lead on 20 seconds into the third period as freshman Vito Bavaro found senior Evan Jasper wide open in the slot to put one past Griffs goaltender Charles Williams. Canisius would finally get on the board as Matt Hoover collected the miss from Mike Sabatini at 4:53 in the third. The Griffs capped their comeback at 18:41 in the third with Heath's wrist shot past Magnus to tie the game 2-2. Sacred Heart had a stellar scoring chance two minutes into overtime as senior Jordan Minello found his classmate Justin Danforth out in open ice for the breakaway chance but was denied by the pad save by Williams.
Canisius outshot Sacred Heart 31-24 for the game. The Griffs went 0-for-4 on the power play as the Pioneers went 0-for-2 on the night. Magnus made 29 saves on the night for SHU, Williams had 22 for Canisius.
The Pioneers wrap up the season series with the Golden Griffins tomorrow at 2:00 pm at Webster Bank Arena.
- Nylen had nice shot from the point at 5:30 in the first.
- Hladin nets his sixth goal of the season on the deflection off a slap shot by Rakhmatov at 11:11.
- Magnus with the point blank save on shot by Nick Hutchinson at 17:30 in the first.
- Connor Doherty with the breakaway attempt in the first minute but denied by Williams.
- Clare found Danforth wide open for the one-timer but was blocked in the zone at 6:00 minute mark.
- Willams made a fantastic glove save on Danforth's slapshot at 16:40.
- Magnus recorded 11 saves in the period.
- Jasper picked up his eighth goal of the season on the wide-open feed from Bavaro 20 seconds into the third.
- Hoover was there to collect the rebound on the shot by Sabatini at 4:53.
- Magnus made the stop on a wide-open shot by Jesse Pereira in the slot at 11:51 in the third.
- The extra attacker goal by Heath at 18:41 pushed the game into overtime.
- Minello with the sweet lead pass to Danforth two minutes into overtime but was denied by Williams.