BRIDGEPORT, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team fell to AIC 2-1 in a tough defensive battle. The Pioneers return to action on Saturday January, 19 when the Pioneers host Air Force. Puck-drop is set for 2:05 p.m.
- Neither team would be able to score in the first period as SHU would be outshot by the Yellow Jackets 7-5.
- The Pioneers would have a successful defensive power-play stand as SHU held off AIC during a 5 minute major on the Pioneers which kept the score 0-0 heading into the second period.
- The Pioneers would outshoot the Yellow Jackets 8-7 in the second period as both defenses held strong as both team shot a combined just 16 shots.
- SHU would be the first team to get on the board as a goal on the SHU power play by junior Vito Bavaro off a pair of assists by Matt Tugnutt and Jason Cotton at 16:13 would put the Pioneers ahead 1-0.
- But the Yellow Jackets would respond with a goal of their own as Blake Christensen would find the back of the net off an assist by Shawn McBride at 17:44 would close the second with the game tied at 1-1.
- AIC would net the game winning goal early in the third period as at 3:43 Brennan Kapcheck would fire a shot into the back of the net off assists by Martin Mellberg and Kyle Stephan to put AIC ahead 2-1.
- The Pioneers would attempt a comeback as they fired off seven shots in the period but were unable to find the back of the net as SHU narrowly would fall 2-1 to the Yellow Jackets