NEW HAVEN, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team tied with Air Force by a final score of 2-2. The Pioneers will return to action on Friday, January 25 when the Pioneers host Holy Cross. Puck-drop is set for 7:05 p.m.
- The Pioneers would outshoot Air Force 12-9 in the first period as it would be SHU that would strike first as well in the period.
- Freshman Ryan Steele would tally his fifth goal of season as he received the puck off a pair of assists by senior Liam Clare and junior Christian Lloyd at 9:34 to give SHU a 1-0 lead.
- The Steele goal would be the only goal of the period as both sides maintained strong defense for the remainder of the period to keep the score at 1-0 in favor of SHU. Freshman goalie Josh Benson tallied nine saves in the opening period.
- SHU would continue his dominate stick handling as they once again outshot the Falcons in the second period this time as the Pioneers took 11 shots to holding Air Force to just nine.
- The Pioneers would be the first team to score in the second period as it would be a freshman dominate game as first year Austin Magera would tally his fifth goal of the year at 1:14 in the period off an pair of assists by sophomores Marc Johnstone and Jordan Kaplan.
- But Air Force would respond back as five minutes later Trevor Stone would score his first goal of the game to tighten the Sacred Heart lead to 2-1.
- Neither team would be able to score in the period until under the final minute of play while Air Force pulled the goalie to add the sixth man advantage and at 19:20 the Falcons would tie the game up at 2-2 off Stones second goal of game.
- The Pioneers would outshoot the Falcons 12 shots to seven but were unable to nail a game winner sending the game into overtime.
- Both sides would each take only three shots in the overtime period but neither team would be able to net a game winner concluding the game in a 2-2 tie.