BRIDGEPORT, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team (7-12-3, 7-8-2 AHA) defeated Holy Cross tonight by a final score of 5-2. The Pioneers will look for the two game sweep of the Crusaders tomorrow afternoon for a scheduled 2:05 p.m. puck-drop.
- The Pioneers would be aggressive in the first period as SHU outshot Holy Cross attempting more than twice the amount of shots as SHU tallied 12 to Holy Cross's 4.
- The Pioneers would be the only team to score in the period as a goal by freshman Ryan Steele at 10:14 off a pair of assists by junior Vito Bavaro and fellow freshman Nick Boyagian would put the Pioneers ahead 1-0 at the end of one.
- Steele's goal would put him tied for the team lead in goals with six on the year.
- Holy Cross would answer back in the second period as they more than doubled the amount of shots taken in the period from four in the first to 13 in the second.
- SHU on the other hand would also increase the amount of shots taken in the second period as they tallied 14.
- But it would be the Crusaders that would be the lone team to score in the period as Kevin Darrar would knotch the game tying goal at 2:33 to make the score 1-1 heading into the third and final period.
- The third period would be all about SHU as the Pioneers would cash in four goals just in the third period alone all scored by four different Pioneers.
- Mike Lee would get the scoring started in the third for SHU as he would bank in a goal at 10:09 in the third off a pair of assists by Austin Magera and Marc Johnstone to put the Pioneers ahead 2-1.
- Then just three minutes later while SHU was shorthanded Magera would switch from giving assist to scoring goals as he would tally a goal of his own at 14:11 off duo assists by Jordan Kaplan and Max Luukko to put the Pioneers ahead 3-1.
- Just thirty seconds later in the third, freshman Nick Boyagian would fire a shot passed the netminder of Holy Cross at 14:47 to put SHU ahead 4-1. Assists would be credited to Ryan Steele and Vito Bavaro.
- The final SHU goal would come at 18:46 when Bavaro would nab his third point of the night off an assist by Nick Boyagian to put away the game with SHU coming out victorious 5-2.