PITTSBURGH, Pa.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team (10-13-3; 9-9-2 AHA) defeated Robert Morris by a final score of 3-1 this afternoon. With the two game sweep, the Pioneers have improved to 10-13-3 overall and 9-9-2 in Atlantic Hockey Association play. The Pioneers will return to action on Friday Feb. 8 when SHU kicks off a two game set against Niagara. Puck-drop is set for 7:00 p.m.
- The Pioneers would outshoot the Colonials in the opening period by a total of 13-7.
- One of those thirteen shots would result in a goal for the Pioneers coming off the stick of sophomore Jordan Kaplan off assists by fellow sophomore Marc Johnstone and freshman Austin Magera to put the Pioneers ahead 1-0 at 13:38 in the period.
- The Kaplan goal was his seventh of the year which brings him to second on team in goals.
- The second period would be a similar story for SHU as the Pioneers would dominate the shot totals as they would once again put up 13 shots while holding Robert Morris to just three on goal in the period.
- Just as the last period the Pioneers would be able to tally a goal this time coming off the stick of Magera off a pair of assists by redshirt junior Jason Cotton and senior Zach DeConcilys to put the Pioneers ahead 2-0 at 10:03 in the second.
- Magera tallied his seventh goal as a Pioneer with the score.
- Both sides would tally eight shots on goal in the third period but a total of two goals would be accounted for in the period.
- The first came from Robert Morris while the Colonials were on the power-play at 16:05 off the stick of Daniel Mantenuto to cut the Pioneers lead to 2-1.
- But Magera again would cash in the game winner for the Pioneers at 19:58 in the period to seal the 3-1 victory for the Pioneers.