SPRINGFIELD, MA.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey fell to AIC by a final score of 4-1 this afternoon to wrap up the season with an overall record of 15-15-4 and 14-11-3 in Atlantic Hockey League play. The Pioneers will have a first round bye heading into the Atlantic Hockey playoffs as seeding will be determined after the conclusion of tonight's games. This is the best regular season the Pioneers have had since the 2009-10 season and the first time the Pioneers have had a first round bye since that time as well. The quarter-finals round will begin on Friday, Mar. 15 when the Pioneers will host RIT. Puck-drop is set for 7:05 p.m.
- The Pioneers would outshoot the Yellow Jackets 18-16 in the first period as SHU took 11 shots on goal in the period while AIC took 12.
- SHU would get on the board first as first year Todd Goehring would bank in a goal off a deflection by the AIC defense to put the Pioneers up 1-0 at 2:53 in the period. The goal would be Goehring's third of the year. Assists would be credited to senior Zach DeConcilys and sophomore Marcel Godbout.
- AIC would come back to tie the game up at 1-1 off a power-play goal by Luka Maver at 19:05 in the period.
- SHU would get outshot in the period as the Yellow Jackets would take 13 shots in the period while SHU was held to just seven.
- AIC would be the only team to score in the period as they would score another power-play goal this time coming at 9:06 in the period off the stick of Tobias Fladeby to put AIC ahead 2-1 heading into the third period.
- The Pioneers would become more aggressive in the third period as SHU would attempt 13 shots on goal in the period while holding AIC to just nine.
- But it would be the Yellow Jackets that would do all the goal scoring in the period as AIC would tally two in the game to walk away with the 2-0 victory.