BRIDGEPORT, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team (16-16-4, 15-12-3 AHA) fell to RIT (16-16-4, 13-11-4 AHA) by a final score of 7-3. The Pioneers will look to take the three game series tomorrow night at 7:05 p.m. at Webster Bank Arena.
- The first period would be all about RIT as the Tigers would tally three goals in the period to take a 3-0 lead.
- SHU would outshoot RIT in the opening period as they took 13 shots while RIT was held to nine.
- The first RIT goal came at 8:03 in the period off the stick of Shawn Cameron to put the Tigers ahead 1-0.
- Two minutes later, RIT would find the back of the net again this time from Ryan Kruper at 10:52 to put RIT ahead 2-0.
- The final goal of the period would come at 16:06 as Chris McKay would find the back of the net to give RIT a 3-0 lead at the end of one.
- RIT would keep on scoring in the second as the Tigers would tally two in the period first coming at 13:03 in the period from Alden Dupuis to put RIT ahead 4-0.
- Then at 15:25 the Tigers would fire off one more goal courtesy of Shawn Cameron to put RIT ahead 5-0.
- But the Pioneers would show a sign of life as sophomore Alex Bates would score his second goal of the series and third of the year at 18:50 off a pair of assists by sophomore Matt Tugnutt and redshirt junior Jason Cotton to tighten the lead to 5-1.
- The third period would be all about the Pioneers as SHU would fire off 13 shots in the period while holding RIT to just five.
- The Pioneers would cut the RIT lead to three with a goal scored by first-year Ryan Steele at 2:39 in the period off assists by juniors Vito Bavaro and Mike Lee.
- Then after ten minutes passed in the period fellow freshman Todd Goehring would find the back of the net to cut the RIT lead to two. Assists would be credited to Cotton and first-year Colin Bernard.
- But RIT would tack on two more goals in the period including an empty net goal in the final minute to send the series to a game three as SHU would fall 7-3 to RIT.