BRIDGEPORT, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team came back from a goal down late in the third period to tie the game with UCONN to make the final score of today's game 3-3. The Pioneers will return to action on Friday, Oct. 11 when SHU hits the road to face Penn State. Puck-drop is set for 7:00 p.m.
- The Pioneers would be even in shots on goal in the period each tallying eight on goal in the period..
- The Pioneers would score first off a goal by junior Matt Tugnutt at 1:33 in the period off an assist by senior Jason Cotton to give the Pioneers a 1-0 lead and the first of the 2019-20 season.
- Sophomore goalie Josh Benson would have a strong period allowing no goals on the eight shots faced.
- The Pioneers would outshoot the Huskies as they took 21 on goal while holding UCONN to just three.
- The Huskies would score the first goal in the period off the stick of Marc Gatcomb at 1:12 in the period with an assist by Benjamin Freeman to even the score at 1-1.
- Then Tugnutt would strike again this time at 10:21 he would slip a goal passed the netminder off assists by Jason Cotton and sophomore Todd Goehring to give the Pioneers a 2-1 lead.
- The Huskies would answer back though scoring two more goals the first coming at 16:52 off the stick of Jachym Kondelik with assists by Alexander Payusov and Vladislav Firstov to level the score a 2-2.
- UCONN would then take the lead off a goal by Kale Howarth and with an assist by Ruslan Iskhakov to give the Huskies a 3-2 lead at 17:44 in the period.
- The Pioneers would outshoot the Huskies 15 to seven in the period
- Neither team would be able to score in the period until. the final minute of the game .
- Junior Matt Tugnutt would complete his first career hat trick and the first time in program history since 2017 when senior Vito Bavaro accomplished this against Notre Dame as he would score the game tying goal at :03 left in the period to send the game into overtime.
- Neither team would be able to score as SHU would take four shots on goal while UCONN was able to salvage two. But neither found the back of the net to result in a 3-3 tie.