NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team picked up its first Atlantic Hockey victory of the season tonight as the Pioneers defeated Niagara by a final score of 4-0. SHU looks for the sweep against the Purple Eagles tomorrow afternoon for a 4:05 p.m. puck-drop.
- The Pioneers would outshoot the Purple Eagles 13-12 in the period while attempting nine shots on goal and holding Niagara to just six.
- Neither side would be able to tally a goal in the opening period to send the game into the second period with the score 0-0.
- Sophomore goalie Josh Benson would tally six saves in the period to keep the game scoreless.
- The Pioneers sticks got hot in the second period as they outshot the Purple Eagles 22-18 in the period.
- SHU's strong attack prevailed as senior Austin McIlmurray fired a power-play goal passed the netminder Brian Wilson 2:54 into the second period to give the Pioneers a 1-0 lead. Assists were credited to senior Mike Lee and first-year Braeden Tuck.
- The scoring for the Pioneers wouldn't stop there as 11 minutes later, senior Vito Bavaro tallied his third goal of the season off an assist by junior co-captain Marc Johnstone 13:26 into the period to put the Pioneers ahead 2-0 heading into the third period.
- Benson remained strong in front of the net recording 10 saves in the period
- SHU would have another dominating period as the Pioneers outshot the Purple Eagles 19-14 in the third period.
- SHU tallied two goals in the period aiding the Pioneers a 4-0 shutout of Niagara.
- McIlmurray racked up his second goal of the game coming 10:06 into the third off an assist by Lee on the SHU power-play to put the Pioneers ahead 3-0.
- The nail in the coffin by SHU came in the final minutes of the period as junior Jordan Kaplan fired off the empty net goal at 17:54 to give SHU the 4-0 victory.
- Josh Benson had an impressive period once again as he tallied eight saves in the period.
- SHU would go 2-4 on the power-play.
- Sophomore goalie Josh Benson recorded 24 saves allowing no goals.
- Senior Austin McIlmurray led the Pioneers with two goals for two points in the win.
- Senior Mike Lee tallied two assists for two points on the night.