BRIDGEPORT, Conn.-The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team picked up the teams third straight victory tonight with a convincing 7-1 victory over Air Force. The Pioneers will look for the two-game sweep tomorrow afternoon. Puck-drop is set for 1:05 p.m.
- The Pioneers would outshoot the Falcons 13-6 in the opening period.
- Sophomore goalie Josh Benson tallied six saves in the period.
- SHU jumped on the scoreboard early as sophomore Ryan Steele would tally his first goal of the season just 4:21 into the opening period off assists by senior Vito Bavaro and first-year Jeppe Urup to put SHU ahead 1-0.
- The Pioneers kept firing as just four minutes later first-year Braeden Tuck nailed his first-collegiate goal off an assist by sophomore Austin Magera 8:06 in the first to put the Pioneers even further ahead 2-0.
- But the Pioneers weren't done yet, as senior Vito Bavaro fired off a power-play goal at 19:28 in the period off assists by Magera and Johnstone to give SHU a 3-0 lead heading into the second period.
- The Pioneers dominated the second period racking up 12 shots on goal in period while holding Air Force to just three.
- The SHU defense made Benson's work easy in the second as he only needed to tally three saves.
- SHU racked up three goals in the period first coming off the stick of sophomore Austin Magera just 2:27 into the period off a pair of assists by first-years Daniel Petrick and Braeden Tuck to put the Pioneers ahead 4-0.
- Then 11:41 into the second, SHU once again found the back of the net this time coming 11:41 into the period on the power-play courtesy of Jason Cotton for his fifth goal of the season off a pair of assists by junior Matt Tugnutt and Braeden Tuck to put the Pioneers ahead 5-0.
- SHU capped off the second period with a last second goal coming off the stick of junior Marc Johnstone with 0:02 seconds left in the period off an assist by Alex Bates to push the Pioneers ahead 6-0 heading into the third period.
- SHU went 1-2 on the power-play in the period while holding the Falcons to going 0-1.
- Both teams were held to single digit shots in the period as SHU tallied eight on goal while Air Force recorded nine.
- Air Force attempted to comeback getting passed Benson for the first time of the night as Brady Tomlack scored the Falcons first and only goal of the game 3:05 in the period off a pair of assists by Shawn Knowlton and Alex Mehnert to cut the SHU lead to 6-1.
- But the Pioneers answered right back as Tugnutt would want a piece of the action tallying a goal just fifty seconds later off an assist by senior Austin McIlmurray to put SHU ahead and prevailing by a score of 7-1.
- First-year Braeden Tuck tallied his first collegiate goal of the year and tallied three points on the day.
- SHU dominated shots on goal as SHU recorded 33 shots on goal while holding Air Force to just 18.
- SHU would go 2-5 on the power-play and hold the Falcons to going 0-3.
- SHU improves to 3-3-1 overall on the year and 3-1-0 in Atlantic Hockey play.
- Sophomore goalie Josh Benson tallied 17 saves in the win.