BRIDGEPORT, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team fell to Air Force this afternoon by a final score of 4-3 to conclude the weekend series. The Pioneers will return to action on Thursday, Nov. 7 when the Pioneers host Holy Cross. Puck-drop is set for 7:05 p.m.
- The Pioneers fired off 11 shots on goal in the period while holding Air Force to just six.
- Both sides went on the power-play but both teams were unsuccessful as SHU went 0-1 while Air Force went 0-2.
- Sophomore goalie Josh Benson tallied six saves in the period.
- Air Force outshot the Pioneers in shots on goal in the period 11-5.
- Six out of the seven goals scored in the game were in the period.
- Air Force would jump out on the board early as a goal scored by Shawn Knowlton 2:26 into the period would put the Falcons ahead 1-0.
- The Pioneers answered right back as junior Max Luukko fired off the game tying goal 3:12 into the period off assists by first-year Braeden Tuck and sophomore Austin Magera to even the score at 1-1. Luukko's goal was his first of the season.
- Proceeding the Luukko goal would be three Air Force goals by Knowlton, Brady Tomlak and Zach Mirageas to give the Falcons a 4-1 lead 12:54 into the period.
- SHU did not back down as senior Vito Bavaro fired back with a goal 15:46 into the second period off a nice pair of assists by sophomore Ryan Steele and Luukko to cut the Air Force lead to 4-2 heading into the third period; Bavaro racked up his fifth goal of the season at the time.
- The Pioneers outshot the Falcons 8-6 in the final period.
- SHU edged on a three goal comeback as a power-play goal by senior Austin McIlmurray 13:01 into the period cut the Air Force lead to 4-3 with time remaining to even the score.
- But even with the sixth skater on in the final 1:33 in the period, the Pioneers were unable to capitalize resulting in SHU falling in tight fashion 4-3.
- Overall the Pioneers edged the Falcons in shots on goal 25-24.
- First-year Braeden Tuck tallied two assists for two points on the afternoon.
- Junior Max Luukko recorded a goal and assist for two points on the day.
- Sophomore goalie Josh Benson recorded 19 saves on 23 shots faced.
- SHU drops to 3-4-1 overall and 3-2-1 in Atlantic Hockey play.