ROCHESTER, N.Y.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team (6-5-1 overall, 6-3-0 Atlantic Hockey) completed the weekend sweep of RIT (7-3-2 overall, 4-2-2 Atlantic Hockey) today defeating the Tigers 3-1. The Pioneers return to action on Thursday, Nov. 21 when SHU hosts Holy Cross. Puck-drop is set for 7:05 p.m.
- The Pioneers were outshot in the opening period as SHU fired off nine shots on goal while RIT tallied 12.
- Neither team found an opening on the power-play as both sides went 0-2 on the man advantage.
- Senior Austin McIlmurray fired off the most shots in the period recording four in the first.
- Sophomore goalie Josh Benson was solid in net in the first period tallying 12 saves on 12 shots faced.
- The period closed with the game scoreless at 0-0, far different from the night before as a total of six goals were scored in the first period in SHU's 9-5 victory.
- SHU went on the offense attack in the second period as the Pioneers outshot the Tigers 11 to nine in the period.
- Midway through the second period, senior Jason Cotton rocketed his eighth goal of the season while the Pioneers were on the power-play 9:45 into the period to put SHU ahead 1-0. An assist was credited to McIlmurray on the man-advantage goal.
- Benson continued his strong night making all nine saves in the period to keep the Tigers scoreless in the game.
- The shots on goal in the final period were limited as SHU tallied six while RIT attempted eight.
- Just 47 seconds into the period, junior Alex Bates recorded his first goal of the year off assists by senior Mike Lee and junior Jordan Kaplan to push the Pioneers ahead 2-0.
- After the Bates goal, a defensive battle ensued as neither side was able to tally a goal for the next 16 minutes of play.
- Then, while the Pioneers were short-handed, Cotton found the back of the net for his second of the game coming at 17:54 in the period for his ninth goal of the year and his third short-handed goal of the year to give SHU a 3-0 lead.
- RIT attempted to comeback in the game as a goal in the final minute by Caleb Moretz tightened the SHU lead to 3-1 but the Tigers were held to just the one goal as SHU completed the two-game sweep of RIT by a final of 3-1.
- Senior Jason Cotton tallied two goals in the game, one shorthanded as his shorty put him at the top of nation in short-handed goals with three.
- Sophomore goalie Josh Benson tallied 28 saves on 29 shots faced in the victory and improves his record to 6-5-1 and 6-3-0 in Atlantic Hockey.
- Three Pioneers tallied assists in the game.
- SHU improves to 6-5-1 overall and 6-3-0 in Atlantic Hockey which keeps SHU in second place overall in the Atlantic Hockey standings.