BRIDGEPORT, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team fell in a heartbreaker to Holy Cross tonight by a final score of 4-3. The Pioneers will look to even the home-and-home set tomorrow night when SHU travels to take on the Crusaders in Worcester, Mass. Puck-drop is set for 7:35 p.m.
- In the opening period Holy Cross was the aggressor firing off 13 shots on goal while holding SHU to just five.
- At 6:34 into the first period, Holy Cross jumped on the board first with a goal by Anthony Vincent off a pair of assists by Dalton Skelly and Alex Peterson to take a 1-0 lead.
- Then in the final minute of play in the period, SHU went on the power play and Mike Lee launched a shot passed the netminder Radomsky 19:18 into the period off a couple of assists by fellow seniors Austin McIlmurray and Jason Cotton to even the score at 1-1 heading into the second period.
- Lee's goal was his first of season and the Pioneers 15th power-play goal of the year.
- The Pioneers outshoot the Crusaders in the second period 12-5.
- Strong defense by both sides led to no goals being scored for 18 minutes of play in the period.
- Then 18:51 into the second, junior Kaplan put the Pioneers ahead off an assist by first-year Derek Contessa to give SHU a 2-1 lead heading into the third period.
- All looked great for the Pioneers at the start of the third as a goal by senior Austin McIlmurray just 2:41 into the period propelled the Pioneers to a 3-1 lead. The assist on the goal was credited to sophomore Ryan Steele.
- But then the Crusaders got hot as Holy Cross fired off three unanswered goals first coming off the stick of Connor Jean on the Holy Cross power-play at 9:42 to tighten the SHU lead to 3-2.
- Then just six minutes later at 15:06 Kevin Darrar tallied his fifth goal of the year while Holy Cross was once again on the power-play to even the score at 3-3.
- The go-ahead goal came just 30 seconds later at 15:39 off the stick of Dalton Skelly to put the game away and to give Holy Cross the 4-3 victory.
- Sophomore goalie Josh Benson recorded 34 saves on 38 shots faced.
- First-year Derek Contessa tallied his first-career assist on the Kaplan goal.
- Senior Austin McIlmurray nailed his eighth goal of season which is second on team.
- Senior Mike Lee tallied his first goal of the season.
- SHU drops to 6-6-1 overall and 6-4-0 in Atlantic Hockey play.