ERIE, Pa.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team completed the two game sweep of Mercyhurst this afternoon as SHU defeated the Lakers by a final score of 9-3. The Pioneers return to action on Friday January 17 when the Pioneers host Canisius. Puck-drop is set for 6:05 p.m. at Webster Bank Arena.
- The Pioneers dominated the opening period as SHU outshot the Lakers 14-5 in the first period.
- SHU jumped on the board first with a goal by senior Austin McIlmurray as he received a pair of assists by juniors Matt Tugnutt and Alex Bates just 7:18 into the period to put SHU ahead 1-0.
- Mercyhurst answered back with a goal coming just after the midway mark of the period with a goal by Steven Ipri 10:36 in to even the score up at 1-1.
- But the strong Pioneer power-play came through as sophomore Ryan Steele cashed in his third goal of the year off a pair of assists by junior Jordan Kaplan and first-year Jeppe Urup to put SHU back ahead 2-1.
- Then in the closing minutes of the period, sophomore Austin Magera wanted a piece of the action as he nailed his sixth goal of the year 19:06 in the period off a pair of assists by Tugnutt and Bates to give SHU a 3-1 lead heading into the second period.
- SHU and Mercyhurst continued an aggressive offensive push as SHU tallied 12 shots on goal in the period while Mercyhurst took 13.
- The Pioneers came out firing on all cylinders as senior Vito Bavaro would score early in the period just 1:14 in off an assist by junior Marc Johnson and first-year Patrick Dawson to give SHU a 4-1 lead.
- Mercyhurst rallied a comeback in the period with two goals of their own first at 6:16 in the period off the stick of Dalton Hunter then just two minutes later another Laker goal was scored by Geoff Kitt just two minutes later at 8:24 into the period to tighten the SHU lead to 4-3.
- SHU closed out the period strong though as a goal by senior Mike Lee in the closing minutes 17:14 into the second pushed the Pioneers ahead 5-3 before the start of the third period.
- The final period as no questions all about SHU. The Pioneers fired off 15 shots on goal while Mercyhurst was able to tally 12.
- The Pioneers rocketed four goals in the period first coming off the stick of Bavaro just :40 seconds into the third off a pair of assists by first-year Jeppe Urup and junior Marc Johnstone to put SHU up 6-3.
- Then just passed the midway mark of the period 11:19 in, junior Marcel Godbout cashed in his first goal of the year to put the Pioneers ahead 7-3.
- Godbout answered again with a second goal coming at 15:28 in the period off an assist by junior Evan Wisocky to continue the dominating 8-3 game.
- One last blow by SHU can in the closing seconds of the period at 19:24 when Steele found the back of the net off an assist by Bates and Dawson to close the game with an impressive 9-3 win.
- With the win, SHU improves to 14-7-1 overall and 13-5-0 in Atlantic Hockey League play keeping them in first place.
- Three Pioneers tallied two goals in the win.
- This is the second nine goal game the Pioneers have recorded this season.