Sacred Heart Surges Past Dartmouth, 4-1

Sacred Heart Surges Past Dartmouth, 4-1

Dec. 13, 2009

Box Score

Hanover, NH- The Sacred Heart men’s ice hockey team finished the fall semester with a 4-1 triumph over ECAC member Dartmouth Sunday afternoon. The two teams scored all of the games goals in the first period as the Pioneers notched four unanswered to take control of the contest. Nick Johnson (Windsor, CT) notched a goal and as assist while Steven Legatto (Kelowna, BC) made 35 saves to earn the victory.

Dartmouth (3-7-0) struck quickly as Kyle Reeds beat the Pioneer defense 1:13 into the opening period and snuck the puck past Legatto to give the Big Green a 1-0 lead. Sacred Heart (4-9-2) would storm back and dominate the rest of the period starting with Matt Gordon’s (Lynnfield, MA) second goal of the season at the 13:07 mark. The Pioneers power play lit the lamp five minutes later on an Erik Boisvert (Drummondville, QC) slap shot from the right circle.

Sacred Heart extended its lead to 3-1 as Nick Johnson (Windsor, CT) used a fantastic move to beat Dartmouth goaltender Jody O’Neill. The play was set up by a saucer pass through a defender from Patrick Knowlton (Colorado Springs, CO). Less than a minute later the Pioneer forecheck forced a Big Green turnover that led to a Mitchell Stretch (Saskatoon, SK) slap shot from the blue line. Freshman Tommy Castonguay (Rimouski, QC) redirected the puck top shelf to give SHU a 4-1 lead at the first intermission.

The Pioneers penalty kill kept the Big Green off the scoreboard as they wasted two Dartmouth power play opportunities early in the second stanza. Sacred Heart swarmed late in the period but neither team would be able to find the back of the net. SHU’s best opportunity came on a tipped puck off the stick of Evan Mladenoff (Leawood, KS). O’Neill stuffed Mladenoff’s first shot with the pad but the junior forward nearly scored on the second chance, sending the shot just wide of the target.

The Big Green would get the first quality scoring chances in the third period as they found themselves on the power play with 11:30 to play. Legatto would make two spectacular saves to rob Evan Stephens and Josh Gilliam of power play markers. Dartmouth would keep the pressure on throughout the frame but Legatto made 15 saves and the defense held strong to earn the 4-1 victory.

The Pioneers will head into the winter break before returning to action January 2-3 against Air Force at the Milford Ice Pavilion.