Pioneers Use 9-0 Run To Roll Past Mount St. Mary’s For First Win Of Season

Pioneers Use 9-0 Run To Roll Past Mount St. Mary’s For First Win Of Season

EMMITSBURG, Md. –  The Sacred Heart men's lacrosse team used a 9-0 run in the second and third quarters to roll past the Mount St. Mary's Mountaineers 14-5 at Waldron Family Stadium Saturday. The win is the Pioneers' first of the season and it came in the Northeast Conference opener.

Mike Mawdsley (Innisfil, Ontario) led all scorers with four goals, one shy of his season-high of five. He also had an assist for five points on the day. Matt Gannon (Huntington, N.Y.) had five points as well on two goals and three assists. Alex Miller (Ridgewood, N.J.) added three points on a goal and two assists. Shane Foley (South Brunswick, N.H.) and Trevor Dauses (Glen Arm, Md.) each had two goals. Jon Flood (Bay Shore, N.Y.) made 14 saves for his first career win in goal.

Sacred Heart (1-8, 1-0 NEC) scored first, as King's 14th goal of the season gave the Pioneers a 1-0 lead 1:17 into the game. Mount St. Mary's (4-7, 0-1) tied the game 1-1 at the 9:07 mark of the first quarter when Bryant Schmidt scored with an assist from Brett Schmidt. Brett Schmidt then scored the next two goals, including one man-up, to give the Mountaineers a 3-1 lead with 0:58 left in the opening quarter. After Brett Schmidt's second goal, Stephen Kontos (Danvers, Mass.) won the faceoff and found Mawdsley who scored to make it 3-2 heading into the second quarter.

The Pioneers tied the game just over four minutes into the second quarter, as Gannon assisted on a Marquis goal to make the score 3-3. Sacred Heart then took back the lead with 8:37 to play in the half when Alex Miller fired a shot past Mount St. Mary's goalie Frankie McCarthy, with an assist from Gannon to take a 4-3 lead. Defensemen Andrew Newbold (Loveland, Ohio) extended Sacred Heart's lead to two, 5-3, at the 7:20 mark with his first goal of the season. The Pioneers capped off its 5-0 run with 2:10 left in the quarter when a Dauses goal put Sacred Heart up 6-3, a scoreline that held though halftime. Sacred Heart outshot the Mountaineers 11-8 in the second quarter with Flood making four saves.

Sacred Heart's goal-scoring run continued in the third quarter when Mawdsley scored his second goal of the game from Miller 31 seconds into the quarter, putting the Pioneers up 7-3. Gannon then called his own number, scoring his fourth goal of the season at the 11:22 mark of the third quarter to make the score 8-3. Foley then got on the scoresheet with 4:51 left in the quarter, marking his ninth straight game with a goal as his tally put the Pioneers ahead 9-3. Sacred Heart led 10-3 at the end of the third quarter after Dauses' second goal.

Mount St. Mary's scored back-to-back goals to get within five, 10-5, with 14:16 to play in the fourth quarter. That would be as close as the Mountaineers would get. Foley and Mawdsley scored man-up goals 30 seconds apart to make the score 12-5 with 13:00 remaining in the game. Gannon and Mawdsley added two more goals in the fourth to make the final score 14-5.

Sacred Heart outshot Mount St. Mary's 44-31 for the game, and 24-13 in the second half. The Mountaineers held a 33-26 advantage in ground balls and won 14 of 21 faceoffs. The Pioneers held Mount St. Mary's Andrew Scalley, the NEC's leading goal scorer and point scorer, to two assists.

The Pioneers are back on the road next week to take on Wagner. The opening faceoff is at 1 p.m.