Pioneers Lose Overtime Heartbreaker, 10-9, at Quinnipiac

Pioneers Lose Overtime Heartbreaker, 10-9, at Quinnipiac

April 14, 2007

Final Stats

HAMDEN, Conn. (April 14, 2007) - Quinnipiac University's Mike Stottler's fifth goal of the afternoon came just as the overtime horn sounded to lift the Bobcats to a 10-9 win over the Sacred Heart Pioneers Saturday afternoon in non-conference men's lacrosse action. The Pioneers got three goals and an assist from sophomore Bobby Karl (Clifton Park, NY) who helped guide SHU back from a 6-3 second half hole to lead 9-8 late before Stottler's heroics.

Sacred Heart (2-7) controlled play early taking a 3-1 advantage midway through the first quarter. The Pioneers jumped out in front with a pair of unassisted goals at 11:51 and 11:00. Senior Rory Morse (East Falmouth, MA) scored off a loose ball in front of the cage followed by sophomore Bobby Rushton (West Islip, NY) who tucked one in the top right corner on SHU's next possession.

QU (5-5) got on the board with Stottler's first coming at 9:34 before Morse answered with his second marker at 7:30. Freshman Evan Morgan (Ashburn, VA) created the play feeding Morse who promptly beat Jamie Prudden for a 3-1 advantage. The Pioneer offense went stone cold from there for the rest of the half as the Bobcats rattled off four-straight to lead 5-3 at the break.

The Pioneers managed just three shots in the second quarter as Quinnipiac rattled off 23 total shots over the first two quarters of play. Chris Griffin started the QU rally at 4:22 of the first and Stottler, Tucker Prudden and Sean Endicott all scored in the second to send their team in to the half with the lead.

The Bobcats ran the streak to five-straight opening the third on an unassisted Stottler goal at 12:28 for their biggest lead to the day, 6-3. The Pioneer offense reclaimed their early game momentum and rang off three-straight markers of their own to pull the game even. Rushton once again went to the top right corner and found success at 6:35 and was followed by a pair of unassisted lasers off the stick of Karl at 4:18 and 2:47 that knotted the game at 6-6.

Quinnipiac closed the quarter with Prudden's second goal and then opened the scoring in the fourth with Stottler's fourth to push their lead back to two goals, 8-6. The Pioneers once again showed they could rally and put together another three-goal run. Freshman Morgan buried an unassisted marker at 8:39 and SHU got a man-up opportunity at 7:23 when Drew Maceranka was called for an illegal body check.

The Pioneers went to Morse who wasted little time collecting his fourth man-up score of the year just 25 seconds later too tie it up at 8-8. SHU surged ahead 9-8 with 3:46 to play when senior Peter Greco (Hamburg, NY) fed Karl in front for his third of the afternoon. The Bobcats pulled the game even once again less then a minute later when Prudden buried a feed from Mike Annunziata.

Both teams had chances in the closing minutes of regulation and overtime but couldn't bury anything and were plagued by turnovers. With the game looking headed for a second overtime, Quinnpiac's Stottler picked-up a loose ball and let fire just as the horn sounded with the ball skipping past SHU keeper Ricardo Vargas (Falls Church, VA) for the win.

Both Morse and Karl finished with three goals apiece to lead the Pioneers. SHU controlled the face-off circle all afternoon with sophomore Zach Smith (Chittenden, VT) winning 17-of-23 on the `X' picking up a team-best seven grounders. Both junior Brett McGlensey (West Chester, PA) and sophomore Shawn McDonough (Carmel, NY) picked up five ground balls each. Vargas made eight saves in goal.

The Pioneers are back in action next Saturday when they travel to the University of Delaware for a 7:00 pm Colonial Athletic Association match-up.