Pioneers Cap Wild Finish with 14-13 Overtime Win over Holy Cross

Pioneers Cap Wild Finish with 14-13 Overtime Win over Holy Cross

April 27, 2005

Final Stats

FAIRFIELD, CT (April 27, 2005) - The Sacred Heart and Holy Cross lacrosse teams combined to score 11 times in a wild fourth quarter but it was SHU freshman Tony Tanzi (Mahopac, NY) who had the final tally of the afternoon, scoring the game-winner with 1:31 left in overtime to give the Pioneers a 14-13 victory. The Pioneers snapped a seven-game losing streak and are now 5-8 overall while Holy Cross finishes the season 3-11.

The Pioneers trailed 8-5 with 4:59 left in the third when their offense kicked it in to high gear. SHU ripped off eight-straight goals into the fourth quarter to take command at 13-8. The Crusaders put together a furious rally of their own over the final 4:12 to come all the way back and force the overtime session.

The two teams played it close to the vest over the first 30 minutes with Holy Cross holding a slim, 4-3 lead at the half. HC junior Billy Klotz and senior Mike McKee had big halves, hooking-up on three-straight scores in the second quarter. Trailing SHU, 3-1, Klotz scored at 9:46, 6:18 and 4:43, all from McKee, to give the Crusaders the lead at the break.

Holy Cross made it 5-3 with 11:22 left in the third as freshman Toby Banta scored his third of the year. SHU struck back at 10:19 off the stick of freshman Billy Fuchs (Merrick, NY) who finished a Christian Lynch (Northport, NY) pass. The Crusaders took the ensuing face-off and scored just nine seconds later and after another SHU goal, put two more scores up to take their biggest lead of the day, 8-5, with five minutes to play in the third.

Sacred Heart's Kiel Adams (Rome, NY) ignited the Pioneer run by scoring on the man-up offense off a pass from sophomore Peter Greco (Hamburg, NY). Fuchs scored his second of the day with 56 seconds left in the quarter to put SHU down 8-6 heading into the fourth.

The Pioneers opened the fourth trying to kill off a penalty when they forced a Holy Cross turnover. Junior Matt Robideau (Massena, NY) made them pay, scoring unassisted, man-down, just 29 seconds in. Adams tied the game at 8-8 at the 11:23 mark, scoring his second of the day, unassisted. The Pioneer run continued through the six minute mark with two goals by junior Adam Dzedzy (Glenmoore, PA) and scores by Tanzi and Robideau as the SHU looked like they would run away with the big comeback win.

Holy Cross, however, had other plans as the Crusaders began their torrid rally with just 4:12 left on the clock. Junior John O'Sullivan started the run with his 21st goal, unassisted. Anderson took the ensuing face-off and rushed in to score his first of the year just five seconds later. Klotz got the Crusaders to within one, 13-12, with his fourth and fifth scores at 3:15 and 1:20. Holy Cross completed the long march back with just 33 ticks left as O'Sullivan buried a McKee feed, his fifth assist of the afternoon, for the game-tying goal.

After both teams exchange possessions, the Crusaders failed to clear the Pioneer zone with 2:25 left to set up Tanzi's heroics. Junior Kevin Walker (Rochester, NY) picked up a lose ball at midfield and the Pioneers set up their offense. A shot by Lynch sailed wide and on the ensuing restart, Tanzi and Walker executed a perfect give and go that left the sophomore midfielder one-on-one with HC goalie David Vafek. Tanzi quickly deposited his shot in the top left corner and the Pioneer celebration was on.

SHU got a tremendous performance from senior face-off man, Blake Reardon (St. Michael, MN) in the win. Reardon won 24 of the 28 face-offs he took while picking up a career-high 16 ground balls. Both Tanzi and Robideau finished with three goals apiece while Dzedzy had two markers and an assist. Junior Thomas Hind (Farmingdale, NY) made nine saves in the cage to record the win.

Klotz and McKee each had five points in the loss, Klotz scoring five and McKee assisting on five. O'Sullivan finished with three scores on the afternoon. Junior Matt Fallon made 12 saves in goal before giving way to Vafek in the fourth quarter. Vafek made just one save in taking the overtime loss.

The Pioneers close out the 2005 season this Saturday, April 30th when they take on the University of Hartford. The game is scheduled for a 1 pm start and will be played at Trinity College in Hartford.