Pioneer Men's Lacrosse Edge Hartford, 13-12, in Season Finale

Pioneer Men's Lacrosse Edge Hartford, 13-12, in Season Finale

April 30, 2005

Final Stats

HARTFORD, CT (April 30, 2005) - The Sacred Heart men's lacrosse team closed the 2005 season with it's second-straight win, 13-12, over the University of Hartford Saturday afternoon at Trinity College's Jessee/Miller Field. The Pioneers finish the season 6-8 overall while the Hawks end the year at 2-12.

SHU junior Kevin Walker got the scoring started less than a minute into the game, giving Sacred Heart an early lead. SHU's Christian Lynch added a score five minutes later before Hartford answered with a Ryan Lynch goal with 4:50 to go in the quarter. Junior Adam Dzedzy closed the scoring in the first with his first tally with 1:23 to play to give the Pioneers a 3-1 lead.

Matt Holman pulled the Hawks to within 3-2 with a goal less than 30 seconds into the second quarter, though sophomore Peter Greco and Dzedzy added scores to give the Pioneers a 5-2 edge. The teams traded goals in the closing 5:30 and Sacred Heart took a 6-3 lead into the halftime break.

Hartford scored the first three goals of the second half to tie the game at 6-6, getting goals from Josh Wasson-McQuigge, Brian Tilley and Andrew Rohmer in the opening three minutes. The Pioneers then went back up after a pair of goals from Dana White and Thomas Latronica that made it 8-6. The Hawks tied it up again minutes later with scores from Ryan Curran and Wasson-McQuigge, though SHU would jump back in front, 9-8, heading into the final quarter on a goal by freshman Kieran Carney.

The Pioneers scored twice to open the fourth quarter and take an 11-8 lead with 9:41 remaining, though the Hawks never quit. Hartford scored three straight goals to tie the game, with Rohmer starting the rally with a score with 6:28 to play. SHU's Matthew Robideau snapped the tie with a goal with 2:13 to play, and Greco added an insurance score less than a minute later. The goal would be needed, as Holman scored with 22 seconds to play to make it 13-12. Hartford won the ensuing face-off but couldn't get a shot on goal.

Sacred Heart out shot Hartford 46-31 and held a 36-34 advantage in ground balls. Each team scored twice on extra-man opportunities while the Hawks won 16 of 28 face-offs.