NEW YORK, N.Y.— The Sacred Heart men's soccer team was unable to stop the Columbia University offense, falling 3-0 at Rocco B. Commisso Soccer Stadium. The Pioneers (3-13-1) surrendered two second half goals to the Lions (9-2-3) in the final road contest of the season.
Columbia opened the scoring with a goal by Kynan Rocks who finished off a cross into the box by Matthew Swain in the fifth minute. Sophomore CJ Weinstein had the Pioneers lone shot of the opening half with his attempt in the 26th minute sailing high over the net.
The Lions second tally came in the 52nd minute as John Denis buried the open look after Rocks tipped the cross from Sam Hatem. SHU had look in the 54th minute as sophomore Oscar Curras had the free kick opportunity just outside the box. His shot sailed high over the net for the Pioneers last shot. Columbia added the third and final goal of the game off the header by Alex Bangerl in the 78th minute off the corner kick by Beto Carillo.
Sacred Heart was outshot by Columbia 23-2 on the night, SHU was held without a corner kick for the first time all season. Sophomore Robert Strain made five saves on the night, while the SHU defense made one defensive save.
The Pioneers conclude the 2017 season at home on Friday, November 3 at 1:00 p.m. against Fairleigh Dickinson. SHU will honor its six seniors prior to the game.
- Weinstein had the lone Pioneers look in the 26th minute.
- Strain made three saves in the opening half.
- Curras had the Pioneers free kick opportunity just outside the 18-yard box at 53rd minute. Looking to point the back-left corner his kick missed high.
- The Lions had a breakaway chance in the 64th minute but Strain took away the chance by Swain.
- Pioneers had a look inside the box off the cross by Curras but couldn't time it right with sophomore Altin Celaj in the 80th minute.
- Graduate Kieran Walsh picked up a defensive save in the 84th minute for the Pioneers.