HAMDEN, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Soccer team fell to in-state rival Quinnipiac this afternoon by a final score of 2-1. The Pioneers will return to action on Wednesday Sept. 11 when SHU hosts Saint Peter's. Kick-off is set for 4:00 p.m.
- The Pioneers would be outshot by the Bobcats in the opening half by a large margin of 13 for Quinnipiac while SHU was only able to salvage five.
- The Bobcats would be the first to get on the board off a goal by Oriac Villa Rotxes at 8:07 to give Quinnipiac an early 1-0 lead.
- Shortly after the Bobcat goal, SHU answered back after a solid steal by sophomore Segundo Navarro he would find the open hole and fire off the game-tying goal at 9:14 to even the score at 1-1. Navarro' s goal would be his and the team's first goal of the season.
- Even though Quinnipiac fired off 13 shots in the half, only four would be on goal and senior goaltender Robert Strain would tally three of those four in the half to close the first with the score tied up.
- In the second half, Quinnipiac would continue to be aggressive on taking shots as they tallied 11 in the half while SHU was held to just four.
- The Pioneers would only be able to salvage one shot on goal in the entire half coming off the foot of senior Riley Sullivan at 73:56 in the game would be saved by the goalie as the ball headed towards the bottom center of the net.
- SHU's defense remained tight until the final two minutes when at 88:27 in the game, Eamon Whelan would knock in the game-winning goal to push the Bobcats to a 2-1 victory over SHU.
PERIOD TIME PLAYER V - H
Quinnipiac 1st 08:07 Oriac Vila Rotxes (1) (Eamon Whelan) 0 - 1
SHU 1st 09:39 Segundo Navarro (1) (unassisted) 1 - 1
Quinnipiac 2nd 88:27 Eamon Whelan (1) (Evan Hughes) 1 - 2