FAIRFIELD, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Soccer team picked up its first win of the season with a victory over Saint Peter's this afternoon by a final score of 2-1. The Pioneers will return to action on Saturday, Sept. 14 when SHU travels to face Providence. Kick-off is set for 1:00 p.m.
- The Pioneers would only be able to attempt four shots in the first half while the Peacocks were able to double the amount with eight in the half.
- Senior goalie Robert Strain would keep Saint Peter's scoreless throughout the first half as he tallied five saves on the five on goal taken in the half.
- Early in the game, at 6:07 in the half SHU cashed in its first goal of the season coming off the foot of Jean Gabriel Pierazzi with the assist being credited to first-year Olaf Conforti to give SHU a 1-0 lead.
- Saint Peter's continued to be aggressive as they fired off seven shots in the half while SHU was held to just five.
- Strain continued his dominate defense as he held the Peacocks to zero goals until the final minute of the period.
- SHU throughout the game had edged the Peacocks in possession as SHU controlled the ball 54% of the time while Saint Peter's had the ball 46% of the time.
- Defense by both sides would hold strong as neither side would record a goal until the final four minutes of the game.
- At 86:42, sophomore Segundo Navarro who had been aggressive on shots the entire game, tallying five in the game would be able to fire a shot passed the goalie at 86:42 in the game off an assistant by senior Riley Sullivan to give the Pioneers a 2-0 lead.
- Before the closing of the game, Saint Peter's would knock in a header to tighten the SHU lead to 2-1 at 89:01 courtesy Dominic Laws.
PERIOD TIME PLAYER V - H
SHU 1st 6:07 Jean Gabriel Pierazz (1) (Olaf Conforti) 0 - 1
SPU 2nd 89:01 Laws, Dominic (1) (Climpson, Tom) 1 - 2