BROOKLYN, N.Y.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Soccer team drew St. Francis (N.Y.) to a 1-1 tie tonight in an overtime defensive battle. The Pioneers will return to action on Sunday, Nov. 10 when SHU hosts Central Connecticut State for the teams season finale. The team will also host senior day prior to the kick-off of the game. Kick-off is set for 1:00 p.m.
- The Pioneers were outshot by the Terriers in the opening half 9-5.
- While SHU was outshot, they edged St. Francis in shots on goal taken in the half 3-1.
- Senior goalie Robert Strain was held to little work courtesy of the SHU defense as he made no saves on the one shot faced.
- St. Francis was able to get on the board first off a goal by Alexis Petit 16:54 in the half off an assist by Marco Torriani and Edorado Belfanti to put the Terriers ahead 1-0.
- SHU answered back in the closing minutes of the half coming off the foot of sophomore Segundo Navarro 38:23 into the half to even the score up a 1-1. Navarro tallied his seventh goal of the season which is a career high.
- The Pioneers will be held to zero shots on goal in the second half while St. Francis was able to fire off four.
- Senior goalie Robert Strain was able to save all four shots directed his way to keep the game even at 1-1 heading into overtime.
- In the final 15 minutes of play, only one shot on goal was attempted by either side proving defense was the key player in the second half.
- Overall, SHU attempted a total of five shots while SFC tallied eight but neither side scored sending the game into overtime.
- The Pioneers could only take three shots in the two overtime periods while the Terriers only managed three as well.
- SHU attempted two close shots on goal but neither would find the back of the net while the Pioneer defense held strong allowing no shots on goal to St. Francis in both overtime periods.
- Neither team scored in overtime resulting in a 1-1 tie on the day.
- Senior goalie Robert Strain recorded four saves on the day on 20 shots faced while allowing just one goal.
- This tie is the third draw the Pioneers have had this season.