The Sacred Heart University men's track and field team is in fourth place after the first day of the 2018 Northeast Conference Outdoor Track & Field Championships. The Pioneers accumulated 28 points, trailing third place St. Francis U by seven points and five points in front of fifth-place Wagner
Michael Kearns won the shot put, with a throw of 51'5" on his final throw of the event. The Pioneers added seven points in the discus as well.
The Championship concludes Sunday, at Mount St. Mary's in Emmitsburg, Md.
- Kearns won the event by 1'5" over Christopher Fasano of Bryant, the only two that surpassed 15 meters
- Kearns threw 15.08, in the first round, but trailed Fasano after the Bryant freshman threw 15.24 in the third round
- Andy Suarez placed eight for the Pioneers, with a throw of 44'10 ¼"
- The Pioneers placed fifth, earning five points as Pandolfo, Ryan Corbett, Shilleh and Jake Tavernite crossed at 8:15.69
Men's Long Jump
- Sean Mefford placed sixth with a jump of 22' 6 ¼" on his final attempt
- Liam McDade earned fifth-place with a throw of 140' 1" in the fourth round
- Kearns picked up sixth-place in the event with a third-round throw of 137' 4"
- Dane Krchnavy earned two points for the Pioneers, as he placed seventh at 32:59.94
- Trevor Guerrera qualified with the fourth fastest time, 1:57.19, winning the third heat of prelims
- Guerrera ran a 4:02.00 in prelims, the second fastest qualifying time, and just .01 behind top-seed Jeremie Venne
- Nicholas Pandolfo ran 4:02.27, also in the second-heat of prelims and is the fourth qualifier
- Moetiz Shilleh earned the seventh spot, crossing third in the first heat, with a time of 4:02.72
- Jeffrey Young placed third in his heat and qualified sixth with a run of 15.14