The Sacred Heart University men's indoor track and field team opened the 2019 portion of its schedule Friday, at the Wagner College Invitational at Ocean Breeze in Staten Island, N.Y.
The Pioneers return to action next weekend, with two events on the schedule. The team will compete at the Harvard University Multis Friday and Saturday, January 11-12, and the Albany Great Dane Classic, back at Ocean Breeze on Saturday.
- Jeffrey Young made it to hurdle finals and placed third with a New England qualifying time of 8.48 in the finals (prelims-8.55)
- Christian Turner placed second in the shot put with an IC4A qualifying mark of 15.71m; a throw that ranks him second in the conference.
- Turner placed seventh in the weight throw (14.47m), a distance that ranks third in the NEC
- Cameron Croce hit a New England qualifying mark in the weight throw with his throw of 16.11m; good for second in the league
- Croce threw the shot 13.86m, good for sixth place
- Fellow thrower O'Brian Joslyn also placed in the shot put with an eighth-place finish (13.40m)
- Sean Mefford placed fifth in the men's long jump (6.48m)
- Moetiz Shilleh was the top Pioneers finisher in the men's mile with a time of 4:29.51
- Nicholas Pelletier had a solid race in the 500m with a time of 1:07.84