Tarsi's Double-Double Leads SHU to 79-69 Victory Over CCSU

Tarsi's Double-Double Leads SHU to 79-69 Victory Over CCSU

FAIRFIELD, CONN. (February 13, 2016)—Alissa Tarsi's career numbers led the Sacred Heart women's basketball team to Saturday's 79-69 defeat of in-state rival Central Connecticut State University in the William H. Pitt Center. The senior lit up the scoreboard with a personal-best 23 points, while tying her career-high by pulling down 15 rebounds. The win improves the Pioneers to 13-11 overall and 11-2 against the Northeast Conference, while CCSU falls to 9-15 on the season and 6-7 against league foes. 

SHU wraps up the four-game homestand Monday night in a rematch against Robert Morris. The Pioneers and Colonials tipoff at 7:00 p.m.



  • Tarsi led the game with a pair of career highs. Recording her sixth double-double of the season, the senior lit up the scoreboard with a new personal best 23 points and grabbed a career-high tying 15 rebounds
  • Hannah Kimmel (Harpursville, N.Y.) extends her double-digit streak to 13 games with 12 points against the Blue Devils
  • For the first time in five games, four Pioneers reached double-digit points. In addition to Tarsi and Kimmel, Kelcey Castro (Fairlawn, N.J.) tallied 14, eight of which were from the foul line, and Lerae Ettienne (Kensington, Md.) totaled 10

Turning Point:
With the score even at 26, and just under three minutes remaining in the second quarter, Storck lifted the Pioneers to a lead they would never relinquish. The rookie's layup sparked a seven-point run for Sacred Heart that boasted it to a 33-26 advantage.


First Quarter:

  • The Blue Devils got things started with a 6-2 run jumping out to an early lead in the first three minutes
  • Shelby Hickey (Littleton, Colo.) attempted to stop CCSU with a jumper, but Aleah Epps answered with a triple bringing the Blue Devils' lead to 9-4 with 6:27 remaining
  • Just before the six-minute mark, Kimmel sparked a 10-point Pioneer run, during which the RS-junior gave SHU its first lead of the game, 10-9, with 4:57 on the clock. Tarsi extended SHU's lead with four straight points
  • Central Connecticut cut the Pioneers' lead to just one point, 14-13 ending the quarter with four consecutive points before the buzzer

Second Quarter:

  • The Blue Devils reclaimed the lead with their first field goal of the period, a three from Camden Musgraves
  • Back-and-forth action throughout the quarter saw the lead change three times in the first five minutes leaving CCSU on top 22-21 at the 4:49 media timeout
  • With 2:55 left in the half, Erin Storck (Commack, N.Y.) drove the lane for the layup, sparking a seven-point hot streak for the Pioneers that boosted them to a 33-26 lead going into the final minute
  • Sacred Heart held onto the lead despite Epps' jumper making it a five-point game, 33-28, at the buzzer

Third Quarter:

  • After exchanging buckets to open the period, Adaysha Wiliams (LaCrosse, Wis.), Tarsi and Kimmel combined for six straight points, all from the free throw line, expanding SHU's lead to 11 points, 41-30, before Epps snapped a two-minute CCSU scoring gap banking in a layup
  • Sacred Heart held a nine-point lead over the Blue Devils at the 4:17 media timeout after Hickey and Epps traded treys
  • TeJahne Malone scored the first points out of the break, but Tarsi, who was firing on all cylinders today, answered by putting six-straight points on the board expanding SHU's advantage to 50-37
  • Trading points until the end of the quarter, SHU maintained the lead, 54-41, heading into the final 10 minutes

Fourth Quarter:

  • The Pioneers and Blue Devils went back to trading point through the fourth half, but CCSU was never able to catch SHU. With 5:48 left in regulation, Sacred Heart took its largest lead of the game of 17 points, 64-17, on a Castro three
  • Central Connecticut answered with six consecutive points, four off a tough defensive effort forcing SHU turnovers, but Castro knocked down four straight at the charity stripe pushing off the Blue Devil comeback
  • Back-and-forth action continued through the end of the game, but the Blue Devils were unable to come closer than six points of catching SHU