SACRED HEART (5-8, 2-0 NEC) VS CENTRAL CONNECTICUT (3-10, 2-0 NEC)
GAME 14 *New Britain, Conn. *Detrick Gymnasium* 1:00 PM
The Sacred Heart women's basketball team got off to a great start in NEC play, taking out former NEC tournament Champions, Robert Morris in their opener 69-59 and moving on to beat Saint Francis U 73-63 last Thursday. The Pioneers now look to keep the winning atmosphere alive as they move into the new year, to take on in-state rival Central Connecticut Saturday January 7th, 2016.
Scouting the Blue Devils…
- Central Connecticut comes into Saturday's NEC competition owning a 3-10 record after their non conference slate. They recently opened up NEC play taking on Wagner at home, picking up a 66-53 victory, and St. Francis Brooklyn on the road, winning 61-53
- The Blue Devils were on a eight game losing streak prior to NEC play. They currently have a two game winning streak against NEC opponents
- Going into Saturday's contest CCSU and SHU are the only two remaining unbeaten teams in the Conference, both sitting at 2-0
- CCSU entered the 2016 NEC tournament as the 5th seed taking on Saint Francis U. The Blue Devils went on to fall to SFU 83-77
Inside the Series…
- SHU leads the all-time series with Central Connecticut 30-16, and currently have a two game winning streak against the Blue Devils
- The match-up sits 4-4, in the past four seasons. CCSU was on a three game winning streak prior to last season where the Pioneers took both games of the 2015-16 season
SHU Against the NEC…
- The Pioneers are 212-93 against Northeast Conference opponents all-time, and 201-71 during the Division I era
- Sacred Heart has wining records against all league foes, posting winning records against Bryant (13-10), CCSU (30-16), Fairleigh Dickinson (27-3), LIU Brooklyn (18-16), Mount St. Mary (29-5), Robert Morris (23-10), St. Francis Brooklyn (26-12), Saint Francis U (22-11), and Wagner (24-9)
- SHU is the only team to make the NEC tournament every year while a member of the league dating back to the 1999-00 season
Career Numbers vs. Saint Francis U…
Name (GP-GS) PPG RPG APG MPG
Adaysha Williams (6-6) 7.6 5.16 2.5 35.6
Hannah Kimmel (6-6) 14.16 6.83 2.16 35.3
Shelby Hickey (5-2) 4.2 2.8 1.0 21.8
Kelcey Castro (2-2) 14.5 3.0 4.5 38.5
Tykera Carter (3-0) 3.6 0.33 0.33 9.0
Erin Storck (2-0) 4.0 1.5 1.0 21.0
Katherine Haines (2-0) 3.5 3.5 1 9.5
Haines Seeing Doubles…
R-Sophomore Katherine Haines who was selected as the NEC Player of the Week, pulled down 16 boards in the NEC match up against Saint Francis U, which set a new career high and marks her second consecutive game with double digit rebounds. She also managed to post her second career double-double while adding 14 points. Haines now has 136 rebounds in her career.
The Sacred Heart starting five has showed great success in putting points on the board. For the second game in a row, SHU has had four Pioneers post double-digit points. Hannah Kimmel led the way with 18 points, while Erin Storck added 15 points. Katherine Haines, and Adaysha Williams wrapped up the list with 14 and 12 points. Kelcey Castro just missed double digits with nine points.
Haines Breaks 200…
Katherine Haines went into last game with 188 points in her Career, needing just 12 to pass the 200 point milestone. In her second double-double performance of the season she finished the night with 14 points, and now has 202 career points.
SHU at Home…
The Pioneers are just 3-3 at home this season. Sacred Heart traditionally has had great success in the William H. Pitt Center boasting a .717 (218-86) winning percentage. While never posting a losing record at home since the building's opening in 1997, the Pioneers went undefeated at home twice in 2003-04 (14-0) and 2005-06 (15-0). SHU is 15-6 (.714) when hosting an NEC Tournament game, and have won all three titles on its home floor.