SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Sacred Heart women's basketball team outscored the Bryant Bulldogs 38-21 in the second half to rally for a 65-53 win Saturday afternoon at Chace Athletic Center.
Adaysha Williams tied a career-high with 22 points, scoring 18 in the second half. She was 8-for-9 from the field and 5-for-6 at the foul line, adding five rebounds and four steals. Katherine Haines had 13 points, eight rebounds, and a career-high five blocks. Shelby Hickey and Kelsey Castro each scored nine points.
Bryant (8-8, 3-2 NEC) broke a 3-3 tie early in the first quarter with a 6-0 run. A Masey Zegarowski jumper put the Bulldogs ahead 9-3 at the 4:59 mark. Bryant led by as much as eight in the first quarter before an Erin Storck jumper made the score 15-9 at the end of the quarter. Kimmel and Haines scored back-to-back baskets to start the second quarter to get SHU within two, 15-13, with 8:27 left in the half. Trailing by five with 6:48 left in the second, the Pioneers went on a 10-2 run over the next 2:42 to take a 25-22 lead. Bryant responded with a 10-0 run of its own to take the lead back at 32-25 and led 32-27 at halftime.
Sacred Heart (7-9, 4-1 NEC) rolled two Williams free throws from the end of the first half into a 10-2 run to start the third quarter. A Hannah Kimmel triple and a Haines layup, assisted by Kimmel, capped the run that gave SHU a 35-34 lead. After four straight points from Alex Klein put the Bulldogs back ahead 38-35, the Pioneers went on a 15-2 run to take a 50-40 lead with 9:25 left in the fourth quarter. Williams scored 12 of the 15 points as SHU held Bryant to 1-of-6 from the field with four turnovers over that span of 5:52. The Bulldogs would only get as close as eight points the rest of the way, as an 11-2 run by the Pioneers gave them a 17-point lead, 65-48, with 0:21 to play.
SHU shot 54.2% from the field in the second half, holding Bryant to 21.9%. The Pioneers shot 45.1% for the game and outrebounded the Bulldogs 39-36. Klein led Bryant with 18 points and nine rebounds. Sydney Holloway added 15 points off the bench.
The Pioneers are back in action on Monday, Jan. 16 at St. Francis Brooklyn at 1 p.m.
- After Hickey tied the game 3-3, Bryant went on a 6-0 run to take a 9-3 lead at the 4:59 mark.
- Back-to-Back Sydney Holloway jumpers gave Bryant a 15-8 lead with 2:18 left in the quarter.
- SHU was 4-for-14 from the field in the first quarter.
- Kimmel and Haines opened the quarter with back-to-back basket to get SHU within two, 15-13, with 8:27 to go.
- Castro scored five points in SHU's 10-2 run that put the Pioneers ahead 25-22. She had seven points in the quarter.
- Bryant was 4-for-5 from the field in its 10-0 run to take back the lead, forcing three SHU turnovers.
- SHU opened quarter on 8-2 run, capped by Haines layup to take 35-34 lead at 6:45
- Bryant took the lead back with four straight points from Alex Klein, going ahead 38-35 with 5:17 to go
- Williams went on a 7-0 run by herself to give SHU 42-38 lead w/ 3:18 to play. She had nine points in the quarter
- SHU outscored Bryant 20-8 in the quarter, shooting 57.1% from the field
- The Pioneers went up by 10, 54-44, with 5:43 to play on a pair of Erin Storck free throws.
- A Hickey three started an 11-2 SHU run that made the score 65-48 with 0:21 left.